How do i hide jira issues based on task or sub-task status?

Jonathan Mao December 15, 2019

Hi

We have a project board which displays issues from other projects. It's a kind of "master" board I guess.

On the master board, and on the other project boards, some issues have a status named Abandoned. Those issues are moved to the Done column when they have that status.

Sometimes, we have Stories with Sub-tasks, some of which become Abandoned.

This makes the Done column very long.

On the master board, I want to be able to hide any issues, where ALL sub-tasks have the Abandoned status. Maybe using a Quick Filter but open to suggestions about how to achieve this.

For example, if a Story is Done AND all the Sub-tasks of a Story have the status Abandoned, then hide the Story.

By doing this, the Done column will be shorter.

I tried the following to no avail:

project in (PROJA, PROJB) AND issuetype in (standardIssueTypes(), subTaskIssueTypes()) AND status != Abandoned ORDER BY Rank ASC

Any suggestions?

Thanks all! :)

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jonathan Mao December 18, 2019

A quick follow up.

I solved the problem by creating a new column for the Abandoned status. Then added a Quick Filter to hide the issues in that column.

At first, it seemed necessary to have Abandoned in the Done column. Turns out there is no negative impact on tracking flow by having Abandoned issues in their own column.

0 votes
Thomas Magny-Garcia
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 15, 2019

Hi @Jonathan Mao 
Maybe you may modify directly the query of your master board to exclude of your search every Abandoned issue.

For the query, I would try something like

: issueFunction not in parentsOf("status = Abandoned")

To exclude every issue with at least one Sub-tasks have the Abandoned status.

Hope it helps !

Jonathan Mao December 16, 2019

Thanks @Thomas Magny-Garcia 

Is there a way to do this without a plugin?

Also ... I'm not great with the query language, where do I include this?

Here is the current query:

project in (ABC, DEF) ORDER BY Rank ASC

Should it now be?:

project in (ABC, DEF) AND issueFunction not in parentsOf("status = Abandoned") ORDER BY Rank ASC

Cheers

Thomas Magny-Garcia
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 16, 2019

Hi,

First, indeed, your query seems good.

Then, I don't think your request is possible without a plugin...
You may exclude all issues with an Abandoned status, but, without a plugin, you should not be able to navigate through the issue links, sorry.

Hope it helps!

Jonathan Mao December 17, 2019

Thanks so much Thomas. I'll come up with another solution.

I really appreciate your help.

Suggest an answer