How do i get Snapshot of JIRA Server

vittal kovuru July 7, 2017

How do I get a snapshot of JIRA Server - where I need to have all the workflows, Workflow schemes, Screen schemes, Screens as a snapshot?

1 answer

1 vote
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 7, 2017

Hi Vittal,

You can create an XML backup and it will preserve the state JIRA is in at that time.

Alternatively if you're using VM's you can take a VM snapshot!

Cheers,

Branden

vittal kovuru July 7, 2017

how do i take this? could you please explain?

somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 7, 2017

Hi Vittal,

To create an XML backup:

1. Choose > System.
  2. Select Import & Export > Backup System to open the Backup JIRA data page. The backup will be stored within the export subdirectory of the JIRA application home directory.
  3. In 'File name' field, type the name of the backup file. Ensure that JIRA has the necessary file system permissions to write to this location.
  4. Click the 'Backup' button and wait while your JIRA data is backed up. JIRA will save your XML backup as a zipped archive file.
  5. When the backup is complete, a message will be displayed, confirming that JIRA has written its data to the file you specified.

For a complete backup of your instance you will also want to backup the <jira-home>\data\ directory as well by zipping the folder or using any other mechanism for backing up. 

You can find the instructions to create the XML backup in the Backing up data knowledge base article.

In regards to the VM snapshot you would need to refer to the help file for that application to determine how to go about doing that for your VM software:

vSphere

Parallels

VirtualBox

Cheers,

Branden

Suggest an answer