How do i automatically set Status and Assignee on issues coming in from an Issue Collector?

claire August 12, 2013

we want to set up a simple customer feedback workflow where issues from a public issue collector gets routed to a customer service person to triage. either they will address the issue themselves and close the ticket, or they will assign it to be reviewed for development. to do this, we need the issue to get a specific Status (e.g., "Customer Feedback") and a specific Assignee (e.g., "Customer Service") so that they can see these on their very own kanban board to triage. how do i modify the issue collector to set these two values when issues are submitted?

2 answers

0 votes
Randall Robertson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 13, 2013

What about using a Customer Feedback issue type instead of a workflow status? Your issue collector could create items of that issue type and you could have your own workflow for that type and call the first step anything you want. That puts it in the same project, but allows flexibility in the workflow, which makes sense because it sounds like your customer feedback items go through a different process than internally logged items already anyway. Setting the assignee was covered by @Tibor. You should be able to set the assignee through your issue collector or, if you use a different issue type with its own workflow, through a post function in that workflow.

0 votes
Tibor Hegyi _META-INF_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 13, 2013

Hi Claire,

Status cannot be set explicitly in an issue. The workflow associated with project and issue type in JIRA determines what the initial status will be.

Concerning the Assignee, you have multiple choices:

- set the default assignee to be Customer Service in the project

- use a workflow post function (Set Issue Field) in the workflow's initial Create Issue transition that sets the assignee

Tibor

claire August 13, 2013

thanks tibor. i couldn't do that in this case because i wanted to keep everything in one project for ease of use. the current default status action for new issues is correct (e.g., set to 'open') when the issue is created internally. but external issues should get the 'customer feedback' status. similarly, i can't set a different assignee since the default is correct for internal issues but not for external ones.

i may explore creating a separate project for external issues, but then i'd have to move issues between projects and i'm not sure that that will be a desirable workflow.

Suggest an answer