How do i auto-populate JIRA custom field based on vlookup type functionality?

Jin Sheen Yeoh February 3, 2021

I have 2 fields: Customer, Customer Index. 

Customer Index is a number field and needs to be auto-populated (without user manipulation of the field) based on a spreadsheet list of Customers vs. Customer index numbers. This categorizes customers into 1 to 5 based on their size (and this value changes every quarter.) 

Is there a way to customize the Customer Index field so it'll be autopopulated based on a vlookup type function? Let me know if you need more details? 

i.e. 

Customers = A, B, C, D, E, F

Customer Index matched with Customers in Excel which is updated quarterly: 

Customer = Customer Index

A = 5

B = 4

C = 2

D = 2

E = 2

F = 1

2 answers

1 vote
Laura Campbell _Seibert Media_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 3, 2021

Hi @Jin Sheen Yeoh 

I work for Elements and our app Elements Connect could work if you transform your spreadsheet into a CSV file.

Elements Connect connects to data sources (SQL database, REST API, CSV file.... or even Jira itself) and you can fetch the data you need to display in custom fields. You can create dependent fields easily, so based on a selection made in field A, different data from your customer data file is displayed in field B.

The app would be especially helpful if your list of customers is really long because you wouldn't have to update the custom field options in Jira since Elements Connect does that for you.

Jin Sheen Yeoh February 5, 2021

Hi Laura, 

Thanks for the offer. Unfortunately, I don't think we can justify budget for this. 

0 votes
Jin Sheen Yeoh February 5, 2021

We played around and eded up doing something like this instead. it's still manual entry each time we update the customer values.. 

def CustomerRankFive = ["A", "B"];
def CustomerRankFour = ["C"];
def CustomerRankThree = ["D"];
def CustomerRankTwo = ["E, F"];

Suggest an answer