How do get custom status to appear as option in Transition Issues when Bulk Change?

Paul Perrone June 1, 2014

I created a new status in the classic default workflow. I also clicked Publish Draft to publish the workflow change.

I created a transition from Open to this new status (and back to Open as well). There are no conditions or properties associated with this transition.

This workflow is associated with my project.

But when I try to bulk edit a few tasks (in this project) that are Open, and try to Transition Issues for these tasks, the transition and capability to change to this new status from Open does not appear on that screen.

I looked at the Screens and Screen Schemes but its not clear how I can make this happen.

Thanks.

8 answers

0 votes
Paul Perrone June 9, 2014

Thank you all for the suggestions. I've tried all of your suggestions and tried to figure out what the impediment here is, but haven't been able to get this approach working. It seems that modifying the default workflow is simple enough, but getting the transitions to reveal themselves during bulk edit operations and during task editing is problematic and not intuitive.

Instead of creating a new workflow status called "Tabled", I've instead resorted to creating a new Resolution type called "Tabled". Thus, we'll simply resolve the issues and mark them as Tabled when resolving. This is not as logical to me as using a different workflow status, and it will break some of our existing filters, but it is a reasonable workaround at the moment for us.

Thank you very much again!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 9, 2014

I'm not sure where you're stuck any more. Create new workflow with transitions, apply it to the project/issue via a workflow scheme, make sure you match any criteria you've put in condtions, and the transitions will appear, both in issue view and when you choose bulk edit -> transition.

0 votes
Paul Perrone June 2, 2014

Thank you all for the suggestions. I've tried all of your suggestions and tried to figure out what the impediment here is, but haven't been able to get this approach working. It seems that modifying the default workflow is simple enough, but getting the transitions to reveal themselves during bulk edit operations and during task editing is problematic and not intuitive.

Instead of creating a new workflow status called "Tabled", I've instead resorted to creating a new Resolution type called "Tabled". Thus, we'll simply resolve the issues and mark them as Tabled when resolving. This is not as logical to me as using a different workflow status, and it will break some of our existing filters, but it is a reasonable workaround at the moment for us.

Thank you very much again!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 2, 2014

You've said "modify the default workflow" a couple of times here. You can't do that. You can only work on a copy. That suggests that maybe you're working on a copy, but then not associating that with your projects correctly.

Thanks Nic. It did let me modify the default workflow...and then said to publish the draft, which I did. And then it registered as "Active". I made sure not to make a copy of it but just reference the draft.

0 votes
Mehmet Kazgan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 2, 2014

OK, I think doing this from the start would be the safest. It seems like you have multiple things going on:

1. Create a new issue type scheme and add only task to the left and save. Call it "Task issue Type Scheme"
  2. Create a new workflow scheme and add existing workflow and add the workflow you are using. You can leave all unassigned issue types there as task will be using this any way.
  3. Go to you project and associate the issue type scheme and workflow scheme.

That should do it.

0 votes
Marc Jason Mutuc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 1, 2014

1. Describe the Issue Types you are using

2. Describe the Workflows assigned for each

3. Check the set Permissions.

Hi Marc...thanks...answers here:

1. "Task" issues.
  2. Classic default workflow (modified with this "Tabled" status)...associated with "All Unassigned Issue Types"
  3. Not sure exactly what permissions referring to.

Copying and pasting the "Workflows" admin info here:

<th>Name</th><th>Last modified</th><th>Assigned Schemes</th><th>Steps</th><th>Operations</th>
classic default workflow
The classic JIRA default workflow
02/Jun/14
Paul Perrone
  • Normal
  • XYZ Workflow Scheme
  • classic
  • Reviewed Activity
  • View
  • Edit
  • Copy
Reviewed Activity
An activity that requires review.
21/May/13
Geoff Hoekstra
  • Reviewed Activity
  • XYZ Workflow Scheme
  • View
  • Edit
  • Copy
Under the "Workflow Schemes" admin info, all of our projects are associated with the "classic" scheme (shown below) except for this XYZ project. Note that the "Reviewed Task" is not used.

Active

<th>Name</th><th>Projects</th><th>
  • <dl><dt>Issue Type</dt><dd></dd><dd>Workflow</dd></dl>
</th><th>Operations</th>
classic
classic
  • Aproject
  • ...all other projects below...
  • <dl><dt>Unassigned Types Unassigned Types</dt><dd>→</dd><dd>classic default workflow</dd></dl>
  • Edit
  • Copy
IIHS Workflow Scheme
  • XYZ
  • <dl><dt>Unassigned Types Unassigned Types</dt><dd>→</dd><dd>classic default workflow</dd></dl>
  • <dl><dt>Reviewed Task Reviewed Task</dt><dd>→</dd><dd>Reviewed Activity</dd></dl>
  • Edit
  • Copy
0 votes
Mehmet Kazgan
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 1, 2014

I meant transition the issue by itself (not using bulk change), does that work?

When I go to the edit screen for an issue, the option (button) for transitioning to this new status (called "Table Issue") doesn't appear for some issues...but does for others. Thanks for the suggestion, clearly there is some subtlety I'm not getting here...the two issues (the one for which it the transition option appears and the one for which it does not) are both Open issues in the same project (and both don't have subtasks). Also, for the one in which the transition appears ("Table Issue"), the option to "Start Progress" does NOT appear (even though the issue is Open).

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 1, 2014

Sounds like you are using different workflows for different issue types - check the workflow scheme!

Mehmet Kazgan
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 1, 2014

Yes, it might be because you are trying to transition different type of issues that have different workflows. Table Issue might be using a different workflow than the other issue type. Definitely the workflow scheme sounds like the issue.

The issues I mention above are both of the Task type....yet they had two different transition options (i.e. buttons for transitioning the status) displayed in the edit issue screen. I checked the workflow schemes for the project...and there were 2 schemes. But one scheme is associated with an issue type that we don't use (was a legacy experiment that wasn't used) and the other scheme is associated with all other issue types, including the "Task" issue type for which these two tasks that I mention having different transition options.

Thank you for your continued attempt at helping out here!

0 votes
Mehmet Kazgan
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 1, 2014

OK, then it might be because you are trying to transition different type of issues that have different workflows. Say you have a task and a sub-task and if each have different workflows in the workflow scheme, that might be the reason.

I tried to bulk change just one issue...and it is in the project with which this workflow scheme (the default and only one we use) is associated.

0 votes
Mehmet Kazgan
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 1, 2014

I might have misunderstood the issue. If you are talign about not seeing the status field to be editable in that bulk change view, you will not.

You should be using "Transition issue" instead of "edit issue" in the bulk change option. In other words, you would not have the status field available to pick up but use the proper transition to bulk move the issues to the relevant status.

Hope that helps.

Indeed, I used "Transition Issues"...and it did not show up.

Mehmet Kazgan
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 1, 2014

If you do this with a single issue, transition works?

Nope...tried a single issue. No option to select the new status as a transition.

0 votes
Mehmet Kazgan
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 1, 2014

Paul,

One cause would be having a condition in transition. Check the condition tab while editing the transition and check if there are any conditions blocking there. Simply removing that should take care of the issue.

I don't have any conditions specified for the transition. Thank you though.

Suggest an answer