How do a change workflow conditions?

Andy Watson April 29, 2013

I want to be able to transition issues assigned to other users. To do this i need to change the workflow transitions, but don't know who. I can't find anything in the Atlassian documentation, nor anywhere else.

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Matheus Fernandes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 29, 2013

Andy,

1. Open your workflows page - Administration » Workflows. If you are using the default workflow ('jira'), you'll need to copy the workflow, as the 'jira' workflow is read-only.
  2. Click on 'Edit', next to the workflow name;
  3. Click on 'Text' to switch to the 'Text Mode', which I particularly find easier to work with; :P
  4. Under the 'Transitions' column, click on the transition you want to change;
  5. You'll see in the page loaded four tabs in the screen (All | Conditions | Validators | Post-Functions) - open the 'Conditions' tab;
  6. Delete the "Only the assignee of the issue can execute this transition." condition;

Now, if you were NOT using the 'jira' workflow, to edit this workflow we've created a draft, so you'll need to click on 'publish draft' in a blue information box in the transition screen.

If you were using the 'jira' workflow, we'll need to change the association in the project to use the new workflow you created (copied):

1. On the Administration » Workflow Schemes page, create a new Workflow Scheme;
  2. Open the workflow scheme you created and click on 'Associate an Issue Type with a Workflow';
  3. On 'Issue Type', select 'All unassigned Issue Types' - and on the Workflow, select the workflow we created;
  4. Now, go to Administration » Projects » <Your Project> and open the Workflow tab;
  5. Select 'Switch Scheme', and switch it to the new workflow scheme created;
  6. Follow through the Migration Wizard and that is it.

After that, you should be able to transition the issues without being the assignee of them. I hope this helps! :)

1 vote
Marlon Aguiar
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 29, 2013

Hello Andy!

On JIRA's default workflow theres a Condition on some transitions that says "Only the assignee of the issue can execute this transition.", I believe this is the condition that's causing you problems. If you edit your workflow to either remove the condition from those transitions or add new users or groups on that condition you should be able to perform the transition.

Please let me know if this information helps you!

Regards,
Marlon

Andy Watson April 29, 2013

I understand that i need to edit the condition between steps that prevents anyone other than the assignee from transitioning a task through the workflow. I just cannot find any option to change a condition. That page only tells you about workflows, it doesn't tell you how to change conditions, or where they are held within Jira. Unless I am being completely stupid, which is possible.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 29, 2013

If you read through the page (which we recommend because it goes over some concepts that you really need to know before you start editing workflows. Including how to actually edit them - look for copy, new and draft), you will find that it points directly to more documentation on Conditions, after saying that they're something you put in workflows.

I know it's a long document and I certainly wouldn't expect anyone to catch it all in a quick skim. But, it is a relatively complex thing to mess with, so the length is justifiable.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 29, 2013
0 votes
Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 29, 2013

See here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Workflow on how to change a workflow. For your requirement, you have to edit the conditions of the transitions.

Henning

Suggest an answer