How do I use Portfolio to plan for an epic which is spanned across multiple sprints?

Alison Tucker June 14, 2017

I am looking for a solution on how to use the portfolio to plan for an epic which is spanned across multiple sprints and is assigned to multiple teams? Please note that I have also defined the sprints (start and end dates) on the program plan.

I had configured the plan to "Ensure Concurrent work" as "OFF" to make the epic span for multiple sprints, and  had split the epic to stories and assigned the teams to each individual story. Now, when I tried to assign a sprint to the split story I see that the item is marked as "Overbooked" for the respective entry.(This is because the work split for each team is more than the team velocity and should span to multiple sprints)

E.g. Epic size is 140 Story points and 3 Scrum teams would be working on this epic for 2 sprints. I had split the epic as "Story for team 1", "Story for team 2" etc and distributed the size for each, but the size of the story is larger than the velocity of the team and should span for 2 sprints. I had assigned the sprint for the stories.

There is a flag next to the "Release" to indicate overbooked sprint.

Is there any solution for this issue? The last option I see is that we have to split the epic to match the capacity of the team to avoid this, but this seems to be very tedious as in this situation I have to split the epic into 6 pieces (2 sprints x 3 teams)

0 answers

Suggest an answer