How do I use JIRA servicedesk and JIRA Software at the same time for the same client?

Marcel Koekkoek January 24, 2020

For a client we are using JIRA software (Next Gen) for doing our project using Scrum methodology. This works great. As of the next month we are starting formal support and I think I want to use JIRA servicedesk for that because of the user friendly environment, the opportunity to share Wiki pages with the client and to be able to add as many customer users as needed.

Is it possible to have the Servicedesk tickets visible in the Software scrum environment to be able to do bug fixing during the print in which we also develop stories?
And how can this be established?

Thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mike Bowen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 24, 2020

Hi @Marcel Koekkoek 

No it is not possible because Jira Service Desk is a separate project/licence. However the two work well together through linked issues. For example: 

1. Client raises a request via customer portal / email.
  2. Ticket is created in Jira Service Desk. Your JSD agents deal with the issue until resolution....
  3. If they are unable to resolve the issue the ticket can be linked to a Next Gen project where 2nd line / DEV / etc can work on the ticket. This ticket may go into the backlog or moved up into the swim lanes of your kanban. 
  4. On the JSD request agents can see the status of the linked issue. Developers or agents of the next gen project can comment internally on the JSD request (without using a license, as they can act as collaborators). 
  5. Agents on JSD can communicate internally with agents, 2nd line/DEV and externally with client until resolution. 

-Mike

Thanks @Mike Bowen, good to know how to solve this.

Do you know where I can find documentation about linking SD tickets to JIRA projects?

Mike Bowen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 24, 2020

Hi @Marcel Koekkoek 

Check out this page: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-desk-cloud/docs/link-issues-together/ also look down the right side, it's a table of contents (sort of of), each of these pages is related. 

-Mike

Hi @Mike Bowen,

Ah okay, I thought it was about linking a ticket to a project. You are referring to linking tickets to each other, I am familiar with that.

Thanks! I am going to give it a try.

Mike Bowen
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 27, 2020

Hi @Marcel Koekkoek ,

Yes, but linking tickets is also possible between projects (Classic Jira Service Desk and say a DEV next-gen project). 

-Mike

Sue Hannan April 10, 2020

@Marcel Koekkoek  and @[deleted]  I am reading your post and I would like to know if I can automatically create an issue from Jira Service Desk to my Jira Software Project. For example, if the agent approves the request (say for work intake) to go forward into my backlog, can the system auto create that issue in Jira Service Desk and also auto link them?

Marcel Koekkoek April 14, 2020

Hi @Sue Hannan, I didn't dive any deeper in any automation between our Servicedesk and JIRA software cloud environment. However, maybe you can find your answer in the newly released automation module of JIRA. Hope this helps.

Sue Hannan April 17, 2020

Thank you @Marcel Koekkoek 

Suggest an answer