How do I use JIRA 6.3 for User Management?

Wayne Pearson January 22, 2015

I had my Confluence, Stash and Bamboo all nicely configured to use JIRA as my user authentication. With recent security updates, I updated all four packages...

The Stash upgrade went poorly (that's for another time), so is being configured from scratch. I'm trying to get it to use JIRA, but am failing. Searching through documentation says to configure the Application Name in JIRA in the JIRA User Server section. I am not finding this section.

My Confluence and Bamboo servers still work fine (even though I can't find where in Bamboo that's configured). Confluence says it's configured as an Atlassian Crowd connection, not Atlassian JIRA. And while I'm sure JIRA still has the Application Name and Application Password from my previous Stash integration, I'll be damned if I know what they are (can't seem to look at Confluence's setup to get an idea), nor how to find that out (or set it) in JIRA

JIRA v6.3.14

Stash v3.6.0

Thanks for any help.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Caspar Krieger
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 22, 2015

When JIRA acts as a user server, it pretends it's a Crowd server (it actually uses much of the same code under the covers). So that's why Confluence thinks it's connected to a Crowd server.

To connect Stash to JIRA, if you can't see a directory type of JIRA, then just pick "Crowd" and it should work equivalently.

In Stash, you'll need to enter in the same application credentials as JIRA has recorded from your past Stash integration, but since you don't remember them, in JIRA go to User Management > JIRA User Server and delete the old Stash application (since this "application" is really just a username & password for Stash to use, you won't lose any data), then add a new application again from the same spot (and enter the credentials you provide here into Stash).

Unfortunately, there is no "User Management > JIRA User Server" to be found, neither by navigating through menus, or using the search box. Sorry, I didn't make that clear in my original post.

Caspar Krieger
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 22, 2015

Are you sure you're using JIRA 6.3.14? Here's a screenshot showing where that menu is in JIRA: http://i.imgur.com/EwGXKIi.png

Screen Shot 2015-01-22 at 9.30.50 PM.png

Interestingly, I don't see the version at the bottom of any of the JIRA screens as I used to... have I just got a bad install?

Caspar Krieger
Atlassian Team
January 22, 2015

Wow, that is really odd. Did you migrate from OnDemand (aka Atlassian Cloud now) by any chance? I found https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-35165 which documents that this menu option doesn't appear after such a migration (it also has a workaround to access the menu page).

Wayne Pearson January 23, 2015

We did switch a year or two ago from OnDemand, but I don't recall whether we migrated or started anew; and we've been running Hosted without issue through a few updates. It's unfortunate that the security concern in Confluence and Bamboo came up, otherwise I'd have been happy leaving things be, working. That being said, the workaround above does let me get to the screen in JIRA that I need. Now I need to figure out other issues (https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/STASHKB/Unable+to+connect+to+JIRA+for+authentication+-+Forbidden+403), recreate all my lost Stash projects/repositories... and hopefully get back to coding! Thanks for your help.

Suggest an answer