How do I upgrade the PostgreSQL driver?

Joe Detjen March 15, 2015

In the JIRA system requirements, supported platforms documentation it states that PostgreSQL version 9.3 is supported with PostgreSQL driver 9.3.x.  My JIRA installation came bundled with a PostgreSQL driver, but I don't know which version. The bundled driver seems to work fine with PostgreSQL 9.3.5, but to be on a supported platform, I need it upgraded. I know this should be easy, but I don't know which jar file to replace. Please advise. 

1 answer

0 votes
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 15, 2015

I am not sure why you think you need to upgrade the driver to be on a supported platform.   If anything, you are potentially invalidating your JIRA installation since you are changing the supported postgreSQL driver.

You did not state which OS, but I will assume Linux.   Please see step two in the following document where to look for the jar file.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Connecting+JIRA+to+PostgreSQL#ConnectingJIRAtoPostgreSQL-2.CopythePostgreSQLJDBCdrivertoyourapplicationserver(JIRAWARonly)

Joe Detjen March 17, 2015

The very first thing that the above referenced instructions tell you to do is to "See Supported Platforms" at the following link: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Supported+Platforms When you scroll down to the PostgreSQL section it states the Supported Version is "9.3 with the PostgreSQL Driver 9.3.x". In fact, every supported version of PostgreSQL specifies which driver it is to be paired with. Yes, this is on Linux. Step two indicates it is applicable to "JIRA WAR Only", which mine is not. I understand the WAR distribution does not come bundled with a PostgreSQL driver. If I follow these instructions, I will have two PostgreSQL drivers - the one that came bundled and the one I installed. That is why I assumed I needed to replace the bundled driver with the one that is "Supported" to work with my PostgreSQL database version. If I'm worrying about nothing, then fine, but the documentation is really ambiguous.

Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 17, 2015

Your question was where the driver was located so you can replace it. The location is suppose to be the same across the installations, so WAR documentation told you where. That is the only reason I pointed you at the WAR docs. I assumed you would replace the driver so there was only one driver. As you already stated there is nothing to worry about.

Joe Detjen March 17, 2015

Well, now that I have gone back and looked again, I see that the bundled jar file is postgresql-9.0-801.jdbc4.jar. I suppose that's the one I would replace, duh. Sorry for the stupid question. New question - would it hurt to upgrade the driver, and is it as simple as replacing the jar file?

Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 17, 2015

Hard to say, since I have not done it. I would expect a build number change only (801) would probably work even if you needed to rename the updated file with build number 801. A version number change is problematic since there is higher probability that interfaces could change. I did not see in the documentation that I looked at that you need to specify the driver file path anywhere.

Suggest an answer