How do I update the status of child stories when the parent epic status changes?

Matt Alden August 16, 2017

I am trying to determine if there is a way to have the child stories of an epic change to a particular status when the epic changes? I have found several answers on how to change the status of the epic when the child stories change but I want to do the reverse.

Here is the reason why:

Our team is using a Kanban board and our Product Owner needs to be able to populate our input queue with epics from the backlog. We have a workflow that goes as follows; backlog -> planned -> analysis -> In Progress... etc.

I want the Product Owner to pull epics from the backlog and when he moves them to 'planned' I want the child stories to also update to 'planned'. Our backlog is extensive so it is not displayed on the Kanban board, only the items planned by the PO so the team should only see the stories associated with the epics. Having to move and epic and then all of the child stories would ideally be automatic but only for the status change from 'backlog' to 'planned'.

Any suggestions?

1 answer

0 votes
Ojase May 25, 2018

You can make use of JMWE post function to do this.

Transition linked issues post function of JMWE plugin allow us to transition the linked issue(Story) when the original issue(Epic) status changes

Suggest an answer