How do I update Affects Versions field in JIRA?

Shannon Schott February 3, 2014

We want to begin using the Affects Versions field in JIRA. We have multiple tickets open and would like to update the tickets with a version in teh Affects Versions Field. We are now showing the field (when it was hidden previously) but we don't know how to update that field. Can anyone offer suggestions?

We are using JIRA v5.2

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

thank you everyone for your help. the crazy thing is we can now add the version to all our issues except our service request issues. we can see on the issue itself a space where Affects Version is listed and None is listed next to it. However, it is grayed out and when we click edit on our Service Issues still no option to add the version. but at this point I will take it working with all of our other issues. thank you all for your help.

Ubisoft
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 4, 2014

Hi Shannon, Mostlikely your Service request issues are just uising a different screen you'd need to add the field to those as well. The only settings that can (by default) change the usability of a built-in field are the screen and field configuration. That or you have a different project for your service request that has no versions?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 3, 2014

You edit it. Same as any other field.

Could you explain why you think you don't know how to update it?

rverschoor
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 3, 2014

If I understand you correctly the problem is that you are now showing the field, but there are no versions listed.

If so, the reason is that you first need to define the versions for the JIRA project.
This is described in the Managing Versions documentation.

I am sorry, I guess I asked the wrong question. We have added versions but how do we now add jira tickets to the version?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 3, 2014

Same again - edit the issues and put a version on them!

I attached a screen shot but now I don't see it above, but there is NO option when I edit an issue to set the version.

When we click edit on the issue it doesn't have an option to put a version on it.

Ubisoft
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 3, 2014

Make sure that you add the Affects Version screen to the edit screen in your screen scheme.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 3, 2014

My apologies, I assumed that when you said "we are now showing the field" you meant you had added it to the screens you need it on.

As Ubisoft says, it sounds like you haven't added it to the edit screen

Alexis Wilke October 8, 2015

That worked, I had to go to the Screen Scheme and find out how to edit that thing and click the checkbox for the "Simple Issue Tracking Edit/View Issue Screen". Then I could indeed edit it inline.

Suggest an answer