How do I turn off issue detail popups on JIRA boards?

Peter J. Kootsookos October 31, 2017

I inadvertently enabled the issue detail popups (instead of showing them in a sidebar), and my team hates them.

And now I can't figure out where the switch is??!?  I thought I found it, and I am seeing the sidebar again, but many of my team are still seeing the popup.

3 answers

1 accepted

11 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 1, 2017

Hi Peter,

At first I thought this particular feature was part of the new interface for Jira Cloud.   But when I disabled the new experience in my test I found that the issue detail view was still showing as a popup for me.  It turns out that if you're seeing issue detail view as a popup currently in Jira Cloud, this is actually a Jira Labs feature.

As such this feature can currently be opted-in or opted-out of on a per user basis.  You would need to have each user login to the Cloud instance, then go up to your avatar in the top right corner of the screen, the select Profile.  On this page, there is a Labs section that the user will have to flip the switch to off in order to disable this popup view.  

issuedetailview1.png

Doing so will revert the board to the previous layout that then shows the issue details in the right side of the screen.  

You might be prompted to provide some feedback when disabling this.  If you have a few moments, Atlassian certainly would appreciate the feedback on features like this so that we can help refine new features for future releases.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Andy

Peter J. Kootsookos November 2, 2017

Thanks, Andy! That did the trick. I thought I turned it on globally, but couldn't find the setting later.

Ferdinand Helmer November 17, 2017

Hi, I am wondering why I cannot find the "Labs" switch in my profile...  desperate to get the side bar back!

Like # people like this
k98kurz November 17, 2017

I also cannot find this in my profile, no matter which version I use. This UX inconsistency is driving me insane.

Like # people like this
Ferdinand Helmer November 18, 2017

Andrew, please comment on this, I'd really love to get rid of the pop-ups in board view. they are fine when transitioning an issue but not at all suitable for quickly browsing them as a project lead e.g.

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 21, 2017

Hi @Ferdinand Helmer,

It is not clear to me why you would not be able to see this option in your profile to either enable this or disable this feature if you're using a Jira Cloud instance.

Could you let me know more about what you do see on your profile page?

I thought this setting was on a per user basis, so my believe is that everyone has this option to set.  Could you also let me know what Cloud URL you are using here?   Perhaps with this information I can look more closely at your specific account to see if there is something specifically different about it.

Regards,

Andy

Ferdinand Helmer November 21, 2017

Hi @Andy Heinzer ,

I am using a cloud instance "neuburger.atlassian.net". I am the site admin. 

On my profile page, I see 4 main points:

* Account details

----separator

* JIRA profile

* Preferences

* Assigned open issues per project

Thanks for looking into this!

/F

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
November 21, 2017

Hi Ferdinand,

I did some more research in to this.  It appears that there are some Cloud instances that have had this Jira Labs feature removed for the time being.   This is not something that I can change myself directly.  However I did reach out to my Cloud support team and it looks like they were able to make an adjustment to your specific Cloud instance in order to bring back these previous issue detail views.

Can you login to your Cloud instance now as different users and see if this is working as desired?

I still found that I could not see the option to enable or disable this feature, but it looks like at least the account I tested this with on your instance appears to see the previous issue detail view now instead of the popup window.

Please check this and let us know the results.

For other Cloud users that come across this, I would recommend that you create a support ticket with our Cloud team under https://getsupport.atlassian.com and be sure to include your Cloud URL.

It does appear there is a process that can be followed for the time being to change this, however at the moment it looks like this has to be done on an instance by instance basis.

Regards,
Andy

Ferdinand Helmer November 21, 2017

a million thanks! Even when enabling "the new Jira" experience, I have the neat side-bar back!

I hope it stays!

Thanks again!

Jeff Krueger December 17, 2017

Thank you, I have been trying to turn that off for a while now.

Thanks!!!!!

rob callaghan January 11, 2018

Thanks for this! 

7 votes
Boaz A October 2, 2018

I've just enabled the new issue view (Personal Settings > Jira Labs). In the sprint board, issue details now open by default in a modal instead of the customary right sidebar. Personally I find that very inefficient, especially when you want to quickly browse the issues.

At first, I was going to follow the accepted answer at the beginning of this year old thread, but after several attempts thankfully found a built-in way to revert back to using sidebar without disabling the new issue view.

In the issue details modal click the 3-dotted button at the top right and select "Open issues in sidebar"

issue-details-open-in-sidebar.png

To revert back to using the modal, follow the same steps from the issue details in the sidebar and this time choose "Open issues in dialog".

issue-details-open-in-dialog.png

Katie September 13, 2019

this option is what I use to have but no longer have. I want it back! Super easy to toggle between the two options.

Like # people like this
James Valero October 4, 2020

Thank you for the screenshots on how to re-enable viewing issues in the sidebar! 

For those who took a little extra time finding this:

JIra > Select Project > Active Sprints > Click on a Story or Sub-Story > Click the ... at the top-right of the dialog box > "Open issues in sidebar"

I'm new to Jira so took some extra time finding this section.

0 votes
Sumesh Krishnan September 8, 2021

On the Top right corner of the pop-up -> Click on ellipsis (...) -> Click on "Open issues in sidebar"

That's it

Johnny Hermann November 1, 2021

Unfortunately, this choice intermittently reverts to showing in the modal - pretty annoying that it does not remember permanently.

Suggest an answer