How do I stop a Jira reindex in process?

Steve Sashihara December 18, 2012

I started a Jira reindex and it's running a long time (4 hours, 50% done). Is there a way to cancel it so I can restart it over the weekend? I assume leaving the admin panel does not do this.

5 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 18, 2012

Stop the Jira application server. This will leave you with a broken index, and when you restart it, it will start again from the beginning.

I'd leave it if I were you.

Thanks for the answer. Yeah, guess I just have to leave it run then.

Probably another good reason to consider upgrade.. we're at 4.4 500 user

By the way, we're trying to move it from internal servers to Amazon Web Services (AWS) -- a little worried about the Index speed on EBS.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 18, 2012

I know it's little comfort, but I think the indexing progress bar is a little "Microsoft" and not that representative of how far it's really got through it in terms of real time. Last time I did a large installation (2 hours), it crawled through the first 60%, blitzed another 30% and then had a nap between 90% and 92%.

Also, Jira 5.2 and above allows background re-indexing - takes longer, but won't bin your users!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 19, 2012

If at all possible, I put the index on the fastest nastiest disk you can get your paws on. I don't know if you can configure a separate disk/partition/segment on EBS (e.g. with no backups or replication), but it's worth it if you can!

2 votes
Sameera Shaakunthala [inactive]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 19, 2012

You can stop it any time by stopping JIRA. But before you start JIRA again,

Delete the following directory. If will eliminate the broken index.

<jirahome>/caches

Check available disk space. If no space left, re-indexing freezes at that point and perhaps that might be the root cause.

After starting JIRA, do a full re-index.

1 vote
Hung Nguyen November 6, 2014

How can we know what field is causing the problem?

My Reindexing progress kept staying at 0% regardless of how long it passed.

Killed it and performed, checking integrity, fixing the integrity issues found and reindexed again. Same thing happened.

Any advice?

Thanks

0 votes
William Martínez March 25, 2014

Sometimes Cancel Indexing did not stop... We had a trouble with a calculated field, a formulae was badly finishes (with a plus symbol) and it doesn't finished.

We stop Jira, startup.sh again. Kill'd process and startup.sh again clean. Then we found field formulae error. We chang'd it right and reindex finally fine :)

0 votes
Nick March 19, 2014

In Jira 6.1.7,

as an administrator you can click "Admin Menu/System" then on the left find "Advanced/Indexing"

Click "Cancel Indexing".

SIGERI January 9, 2018

When index no have this option.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 9, 2018

Correct, that answer was incorrect, there is no option to stop a full index run.  You have to stop Jira

Suggest an answer