How do I setup default fields on the "create issue" screen?

Lacy Gifford January 20, 2015

I want every user in our company (regardless of group they belong to) to have the same exact fields available to them when they create a new issue. No more, no less. How do I make this happen? Thank you!

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2015

Make sure all your issue type screen schemes use the same screen for "create issue"

Remove all plugins that give you any form of field-by-user stuff (Field security plugin for example)

Grant all of your users exactly the same permissions for "Can assign issue to users", "Resolve issue", "Schedule issue", "modify reporter", "set issue security", and the three "attachments" things.  (Note that this doesn't mean you have to give them the permission - just the same permission)

Then they'll get identical screens.

Unless they change the defaults on their "fields I want to see" personal settings.  

There are so many screen on here. It seems like JIRA has automatically created screens for every project. Look at the screenshot below. How do I know if all my issue type screen schemes use the same screen for "create issue"? http://prntscr.com/5uz6a5

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2015

Ah, that's been done by the project template stuff when you click "create project", in an attempt to isolate all the projects. You'll find that if you've always chosen one project type (your screenshot shows repeated use of "scrum" template), they're all using copies of the same screen, so they are pretty much the same, but if you've used different project types, you will probably have to migrate them to use the screens you want to. Because they're all copies though, the question could be down to if you have other adminstrators - if this is a new Jira and you're on your own, then the screens will all be the same unless you've deliberately amended them. If you do have other admins, then ask them, it may be that they haven't changed screens either. That means choosing which "issue type screen scheme" you want to use and then changing each project to use it instead of their own dedicated screens. And think about not using the templates any more.

Ok, but I still don't see a default "create issue" type screen. How do I set the default fields for the default screen that is currently being created by Jira when we start any new Agile Project? See below for an example: http://prntscr.com/5v2b69

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 21, 2015

Ok, we need to go back to the "project template" concept. When you create a project, you select a template, and that template contains instructions for building the schemes that make up a project structure. Sometimes, these schemes are "use existing scheme X" and other times, they are "create new independent scheme with predefined settings detailed in the template code". The Agile template creates new independent schemes, and it's coded into the template. So, if you don't want independent schemes each time, you need to either a) Stop using the Agile template and use another which sets the schemes to shared/default ones b) Use the Agile template, but after using it, change the schemes to the one(s) you actually want to use c) Find/Write a new Agile template that says "reuse shared defaults" instead of "create new" (not available to cloud users)

Suggest an answer