How do I setup Jira Service Desk to create new tickets via incoming emails?

Laterrius Johnson April 23, 2014

I would like to give users (Other Departments) the ability to email their requests to a centralized email account (helpdesk@abc.com). When the email is receiced in Jira Service Desk a ticket is assigned to a specific technician depending on the request type. Is this even possible, or should I select another product? Thanks in advance.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
timhussein April 23, 2014

I wonder if this can be used as a workaround for the service desk license policy, in which each person that creates tickets counts as a "JIRA user" (if I understood correctly)!?

Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 23, 2014

I think it probably can as with this approach all issues can be reported by one and the same user. Unless there is some restriction in Service Desk that I've missed this should work.

Laterrius Johnson April 24, 2014

I would actually prefer that the users not have to log in. Not because I'm not willing to pay for the license. I'm trying to avoid the use of another system the users would have to log into again. They already have enough applications to deal with. :)

But I see your point.

Thanks Tim

0 votes
Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 23, 2014

I think it's possible. If you configure proper email handler as described here

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Creating+Issues+and+Comments+from+Email#CreatingIssuesandCommentsfromEmail-Configuringissueorcommentcreationfromemail

And then the assignee can be properly set in a postfunction in the "CREATE" workflow transition based on the request type (I don't know where is this request type contained though).

Also you may look here for an answer - https://thepluginpeople.atlassian.net/wiki/display/JEMH/Integrate+JEMH+with+JIRA+Service+Desk

Laterrius Johnson April 24, 2014

Boris,

I appreciate the response!

Thanks

Suggest an answer