How do I set story points on a story issue?

Master Flumph May 28, 2013

Could someone please explain how I set story point values for story type issues?

9 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 29, 2013
Master Flumph May 29, 2013

I did see that page already and in particular this section:

The type of Estimation Statistic you select affects which units are used by the 'Estimate' field, which appears at the right of each issue inPlan mode: (Note that the 'Estimate' field is editable when an issue is in Plan mode, but not editable once the issue moves into Work mode.)

The estimate field is not editable for me, assuming I'm supposed to type into the grey oval on the right end of each card. I can't figure out how to type in the story point.

Like archana.vinodmandhare likes this
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 29, 2013

What if you go directly to the issue itself and try to edit it from there? You can always check if you can do it in the issue itself.

You might want to add this add-on too to figure out your fields:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.atlassian.jira.plugins.jira-admin-helper-plugin

Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 29, 2013

You would be typing in the value into the field that you have set to be used as the Estimate field. You will need to figure out why you can't see that field.

Are you sure that field is avaialble to the project + issue type context?

Would I be typing the story points into the Original Estimate field? I can type in there. I was expecting to see a field labelled Story Points... or Business Value...

I'm not sure i can do that in my hosted version of Jira Studio.

Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 30, 2013

Are you sure that you are on JIRA Studio? That should be phased out right? Anyways, that addon itself is avaialble on OnDemand if I am not mistaken.

Master Flumph May 30, 2013

You're right, its OnDemand, and I ended up having to add the story points to the default screen field list. Problem solved, thanks for your replies, you've been really helpful!

7 votes
Robert Arambel July 2, 2018

Go to JIRA -> Settings -> Screens. Click Configure on the board setting you want to change. At the bottom you will see "Select Field". Choose Story Points.  It will be added to that configuration of that board.

3 votes
Matthew Yankelovich June 3, 2013
I ran into this problem today; I had to move the story out of the active sprint, then add the story points to the, now enabled 'estimate' field, and then add it back to the story.
Rab Horner August 8, 2017

Thank you.  This worked a treat.

2 votes
Melvin Jones October 15, 2013

Go to Agile -> [your board name]. Then on the far right, Board -> Configure.

Click the Estimation tab. For Estimation Statistic change Story Points to Original Time Estimate and you'll be able to burn down based on the hours you've probably already put in.

1 vote
Chris Mylan November 21, 2013

Same issue here. Annoying!!!

1 vote
Sean Wolf November 5, 2013

I ran into this problem as well. The story points field is not avaible in the default add/edit story form, even though my agile project's Estimation Statistic was set to story points by default. This seems like a bug to me.

0 votes
Gregg Ord-Hume April 10, 2019

You cant add Story Points to a task in a story! But you can add Story points to a task on its own?

Surely you should be able to add points to tasks in a story and then that stories points will be a sum of the tasks points.

Geovanni Chavez October 8, 2019

When you say "Task" are you meaning ISSUE??

0 votes
Deleted user June 22, 2018

Same issue. Cannot set story points on tasks.

0 votes
Master Flumph May 30, 2013

Anyone? I'm using the hosted version of Jira. Shouldn't story points be setup to work already with story type issues? Shouldn't I see a feild in the edit issue screen labelled "story points"?

Suggest an answer