How do I set startAt and maxResults in curl request?

Araiz Baqi July 26, 2017

I'm using curl to search for issues in JIRA

This is my command:

curl -D- -u user:pass -X GET -H "Content-Type: application/json" https://jira.gtie.dell.com/rest/api/latest/search?jql=.............xmlQuery............

The problem is that i only get 50 issues. I want to set the startAt and maxResults parameters but can't seem to get it right. Can anyone help?

1 answer

2 votes
Gaston Valente
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 26, 2017

Hi Araiz,

This is the way:

/rest/api/2/search?jql=[jqlQuery]&startAt=10&maxResults=3

Araiz Baqi July 26, 2017

Gaston, 

I tried that, and it says 'startAt' and 'maxResults' is not recognized as an internal or external command.

Do you have an idea what what I might be doing wrong?

The query works with:

rest/api/latest/search?jql=projects+%3D+JIT.......

Like LABARRE Anthony likes this
Gaston Valente
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 26, 2017

I'm copying the code i place in the answer and works.

try with a simple query to check for a syntax problem:

/rest/api/2/search?jql=project=XXX&startAt=3&maxResults=5

Like Siwen Yu likes this
Nada El Boustaoui July 17, 2018

@Gaston Valente hi i tried that and the problem i get is that if i set startAt=0 and maxResult=50 i get 50 issues in return but then when i change it to startAt=50 and maxResult=100 i get 100 issues. when i do this in a loop it blocks the connection at one point i guess because the data becomes too large. Do you have any idea why i can"t set the startAt to a percise value ?

Gaston Valente
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 17, 2018

You need to specify startAt=50 and maxResults=50

That will bring the 50 records after the first 50

• startAt defines the offset
  • maxResults define the returned records count after the offset

startAt=0 and maxResults=50 returns the first 50 records

startAt=50 and maxResults=50 returns the following 100 records after the first 50

you need to keep track of the returned record count in each call and adjust the startAt value

S July 27, 2021

@[deleted] I have implemented same approach but the results are not as i wanted.

startAt=0 and maxResults=50 returns the first 50 records

startAt=50 and maxResults=50 returns the following 100 records after the first 50

with this approach I'm getting a few similar records from both dataset... is there a way I can filter or order things to get sequential to get distinct data set every time?

Like Lyuboslav Mitsov likes this

Suggest an answer