How do I set start and end dates on a sprint after created?

Mats Kallmyr December 20, 2017

I have start and end date on sprints (e.g. Sprint 1) and later tried to set date in some sprints (Sprint 2 + 3) but the field to enter dates do not exist.

What to do? Please note below attached screen dumps!

Sprint with dates.PNGSprint without dates.PNGSprint without dates2.PNG 

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Matthew Korich July 11, 2019

You can use the "non-public" REST api to do this.

1. See https://docs.atlassian.com/jira-software/REST/7.3.1/#agile/1.0/sprint-partiallyUpdateSprint
  2. Install the REST browser addon (free) in your Jira (You'll need admin here)
  3. Browse in the REST browser for the above sprint (you'll have to know the sprint ID for this). 
  4. Be sure to uncheck the "public api" only checkbox at the top of your search.
  5. Navigate to the "post" section in your area.

2019-07-11 11_28_14-REST API Browser - Enterprise JIRA.png

4. post the content above and the sprint dates are set but the state is still "future".

2019-07-11 11_28_14-REST API Browser - Enterprise JIRA -2.png

3 votes
Sean Borman June 25, 2018

If you already started the sprint it's not obvious how to change the sprint dates.  Solution follows.

I wish that Jira support folks with actually post screenshots and intelligible instructions rather that cryptic comments like "go to Work Mode".  What the heck is work mode?  Of course your Jira might be set up totally differently from mine (because, Jira!) but here goes.  I have a scrum board setup. I use Jira cloud. 

On the left panel click on the "backlog" icon (see below). 

Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 9.20.51 PM.png

Note, I said "backlog". Not Active Sprint as you might suspect.  Yes, this is about modifying an active sprint, but don't think logically.  It's not there.  Because, ... Jira.

Now you might have to scroll up to the top of the list of the current active sprint (Jira will automatically jump the screen to the "selected" issue).

Once you're actually looking at the top of the list of issues for the active sprint in the backlog view, look for the "..." button to the right of the text "Linked Pages <N>".  It should be above (right aligned) the list of issues in the sprint.

See the pic below:

Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 9.32.16 PM.png

Click on the "..." button and you should see this:

Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 9.35.18 PM.png

Click on "Edit sprint" and you'll hopefully get something like this:

Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 9.37.53 PM.png

You can now modify the start and end dates as required.

Now why you can't do this from the sprint view where it more naturally belongs is a complete mystery to me.  Like many such things with Jira, I throw my hands in the air and sigh (when I'm in a charitable mood). 

Gil Vinokoor May 3, 2020

HI @Sean Borman , all,

Great instructions, but they don't apply to me, it seems. :(

Background: I'm using Jira Data Center v7.13.12

When I got to Backlog view for my Scrum board, to the far-right of the current sprint I do see the three dots "..." button you mention, but when I click it, the only option that appears is "Set sprint goal", nothing about editing or deleting the sprint.

Any idea why that is and/or where else the Edit/Delete Sprint options may be hiding?

Melissa Howard November 16, 2022

When you go to the backlog view, and hover over the sprint end field, as long as you have the permissions you see this option below and you can edit the field.

Screen Shot 2022-11-16 at 11.13.16 AM.png

1 vote
MichaelL May 7, 2020

Jira Software 8.8 adds the ability to set START and END DATES (and GOALS) on future sprints.  See the release notes.

0 votes
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 20, 2017

Hi Mats,

Are these the only sprints you're running into this issue with?  If not, try the following and let me know if this works for you:

1. For an active sprint, go to Work Mode
  2. Hover over the sprint and click the Cog. An inline dialog appears.
  3. Hover over the start or end date and click the Calendar icon
  4. At the bottom of the calendar, there is the time component. You can interact with this by clicking and or dragging.

There is a Suggestion that you can find at JSWSERVER-11114 - Add ability to change sprint completion date (agile board).

Please review JSWSERVER-11114 and if that is indeed the issue you're experiencing vote on the issue to add impact and you'll be notified of any changes to the ticket.

Cheers,

Branden

Mats Kallmyr December 21, 2017

Must be different Jira setup as I can not find any "Work Mode" in my Jira...

Suggest an answer