How do I see remaining time needed on an issue once all resource availability is depleted?

Lisa Folb August 7, 2014

Once all issues in backlog have been planned using available resources, is there a way in Tempo, Issues Navigator, or Dashboard Widgets to see if there is any time on issues not accounted for?

For example, my 10 issues will take 100 hours to complete. I have planned 80 hours with available personnel. Where can I go to see which issues account for the 20 hours that are not planned?

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Susanne Götz [Tempo]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 11, 2014

Hi Lisa,

you can do this using the Advanced timesheet in Tempo Timesheets.

Create a filter that includes the 10 issues that you have been planning on. View this filter in the Advanced timesheet, Report view. In the "Columns" dropdown, choose "Estimated" and "Planned" to display the estimated and planned hours in the view. In the "Rows" dropdown, choose "Issues".

This will give you and overview of the Issues within the filter and you can see which of them have less hours planned than estimated.

Kind regards,

Susanne

Lisa Folb August 27, 2014

Thanks Susan.... I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "Advanced" timesheets? is that a version with more functions, or a way of looking at a timesheet? I don't see advanced anywhere in my view.

Lisa Folb August 28, 2014

Susanne,

One more question.... When I open the Advanced timesheet using the Filter, the result is blank. I'm assuming because we have no time logged on these issues. How do I get them to show up in the Advanced to do the comparison betwen planned and no value?

I can see them in the Issues filter, but am only able to show Estimated hours, not planned, and they are visible in days and hours, I'm looking for just hours to do my analysis.

thanks,

Lisa

Susanne Götz [Tempo]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 31, 2014

At the moment, it is only possible to view Issues that have already time planned / logged in the Advanced timesheet. You can create a feature request for viewing all issues in the filter in our Tempo Timesheets project (https://tempoplugin.jira.com/browse/TT) and it will be evaluated by Tempo management.

Lisa Folb September 1, 2014

I want to make sure I'm not misunderstanding... in response to my original question - to be able to see issues that have not been accounted for when planning how time will be spent (ie, no time will have been logged) - you suggested I used the Advanced timesheet with a filter. What's confusing me is that above you say "planned / logged".... do you mean "or".... so I can have planned time and no logged time and see the issues using the filter in Advanced time sheet? or do I need planned AND logged to see them? (I'm not seeing issues with only planned, which is why I'm checking.)

We are trying to find a way to use Tempo to do employee (resources) planning. Which means that we would be accounting for someone's time months from now. I want to make sure that when I look at the backlog, I have accounted for the activities to complete all issues.

thanks,

Lisa

Susanne Götz [Tempo]
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 1, 2014

With planned/ logged I meant planned or logged, both should show in the Advanced Timesheet for the timeperiod chosen.

For planning purposes, you might want to take a look at Tempo Planner (http://www.tempoplugin.com/products/tempo-planner/) and see if it is useful for you.

0 votes

Susanne,

One more question.... When I open the Advanced timesheet using the Filter, the result is blank. I'm assuming because we have no time logged on these issues. How do I get them to show up in the Advanced to do the comparison betwen planned and no value?

I can see them in the Issues filter, but am only able to show Estimated hours, not planned, and they are visible in days and hours, I'm looking for just hours to do my analysis.

thanks,

Lisa

0 votes

Thank you for your help!

0 votes
Susanne Götz [Tempo]
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 27, 2014

JIRA uses seconds to store worklogs and Tempo is following this, as it is using the same database.

The planned hours can be exported using the Excel export. Go to the Report view of a Timesheet you want to export (https://tempoplugin.jira.com/wiki/display/TEMPO079/Report+View) and use the Export button. Create an Excel export, the planned hours for the chosen timeperiod are shown in a seperate tab and are shown in hours.

0 votes
Lisa Folb August 27, 2014

Thank you Susanne, that answers my question.

We have also been trying to figure out how to export from tempo and have the time reflected in hours instead of seconds. Do you have a tip for that?

Suggest an answer