How do I search the second value in a cascading select field?

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 6, 2014

This is the documentation I was able to find:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Advanced+Searching+Functions#AdvancedSearchingFunctions-cascadeOption()

In all the examples the parent value is specified. I want to search for a child value across all parent values. Specifically, I want to get a list of all records that have a any parent value but no child value.

Any ideas?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 7, 2014

@JohnBishop- Thanks anyway. I guess I am SOL for this...

1. Too many first level values and too much work for a query I only need to run once or twice.

2. No one available.

3. Too much trouble for a query I really only want to run once or twice.

2 votes
John Bishop
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 6, 2014

It doesn't look like that is currently supported, so there doesn't seem to be an easy way to accomplish this.

I can think of 3 alternatives at the moment:

1. Build a jql query where you AND together a bunch of cascadeOptions (one for every possible first level value of the field).

2. Develop, or have someone else develop, a new searcher for the cascading select field type.

3. Create a hidden text field which will store some value, maybe "TRUE", if the cascading field on that issue has both values, and "FALSE" if it only has the parent issue. Then you can just query this hidden field. You'd probably need to use either a listener or a Scripted Field to keep everything up to date.

Daniel Brvnišťan October 23, 2019

Thanks for the option 1., this worked for me as there is just a couple first level values.

Markus Schweigard
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 12, 2024

10 years later and still no solution for this issue
Suggestion to Atlassian team:
provide "any" keyword as opposite to "none"
=> cascadeOption(any, none)
That would be an easy and great solution!!!

Suggest an answer