How do I search for just a number (not a ticket number) in the "Quick Search" box?

Inu Yasha September 13, 2012

If I type any number in the "Quick Search" box, it tries to find a ticket. Sometimes, i may search for a phone number, for example, or any number, and it will error (unless it happens to find a ticket with that number).

Example:

I search for a reference to a serial number "567563453" in the "Quick Search" box, which results in the error "The issue you are trying to view does not exist.". There is not ticket number that high in our system, but I know that a ticket does in fact have that serial number referenced in a comment.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Thomas Heidenreich
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 16, 2012

I think you could search for the Number if you use single quotes, like:

'567563453'

If works for me with Numbers in Text fields, but I don't know whether it will find numeic field values.

Inu Yasha October 29, 2012

that actually worked like a charm, thanks!

1 vote
SimonS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 13, 2012

Hi Inu,

You'll have to search for these numbers outside of the quicksearch box, but it should be pretty easy.

1. Click on the dropdown arrow next to the "Issues" tab
  2. Click "Search for issues"
  3. You should see the "simple" search screen by default. If not, click the "simple" link in the left-hand menu
  4. Type the number into the "query" box. It will search summary and description by default, but you can select comments and environment as well.

This should get you the results you need.

-Simon

Inu Yasha September 13, 2012

Thank you, I already knew I could do a regular search. It is just not as productive as using the "Quick Search" box.

SimonS
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 13, 2012

Ah, yeah, numbers in the search box default to look for ticket numbers. There isn't an easy way around that :( it would require some cutom coding or a plugin.

Alternatively, you could use a browser like Chrome or Firefox and create a custom search that you can use right from the address bar:

http://www.chromeplugins.org/tips-tricks/custom-search-engines-in-google-chrome/

Inu Yasha September 14, 2012

Ah, thank you. I have used the custom search in Firefox before with other services, but I did not even think of it for this situation. I will try it out now!

edit: I did not want to double-post, but I did try it out in Chrome, and it worked perfectly!

Suggest an answer