How do I search for issues Resolved and/or Closed by a particular user?

Zach Drake February 26, 2014

I want to create a list of issues that were Resolved or Closed by a particular user. This is different than searching for a list of issues that are currently in a resolved or closed state and are assigned to a particular user. I want to know WHO resolved the tickets. Any ideas?

10 answers

1 accepted

24 votes
Answer accepted
Zach Drake March 19, 2014

Thanks for the reply. I also figured it out this way:

status was Resolved by "user_name" before "2014-03-08" after "2014-03-02"

Mallikarjuna Madineni September 10, 2020

Its works for me. Can you please let me know, how to get Last Resolution User using JQL. 

Please refer the screen shot of looping workflow.

lastResolved.png 

Actually I wanted to count how many tickets last resolved by XYZ user.                                                             

Rosa M Fossi September 10, 2020

Hi @Mallikarjuna Madineni     To clarify, 

how to get Last Resolution User

do you want to retrieve the last user that transitioned the ticket into the Closed status?    

Or do you want to know who last transitioned a ticket into the Resolved status?

Madineni September 10, 2020

Hi @Rosa M Fossi 

I want to know, who last transitioned a ticket into Resolved state. 

Rosa M Fossi September 10, 2020

@Madineni 
After some research, I'm not certain that this is something that can be retrieved via the native JQL.   Even among the add-ons, I did not see a specific solution for this query.   There are some robust Business Intelligence tools out there (like EasyBI) that would likely give you the ability to query what you need... but it might be overkill for what you're trying to achieve.

In your situation, and if it was critical I have this information on hand, I would get creative with a custom field and an automation.    Something that would auto-fill a custom field called "last resolved by" with the name of the user that last did that transition.   I see next to your name the "I'm new here" tag.  If you're not familiar with an automation like that, please start a new thread for creating such an automation and myself (and many others!) can jump in and provide some help.  

Like Mallikarjuna Madineni likes this
Mallikarjuna Madineni September 17, 2020

Hi @Rosa M Fossi 

Thanks for the useful info.

Can you please let me know how to

| auto-fill a custom field called "last resolved by" with the name of the user that last did that transition.

Thanks.

Rosa M Fossi October 19, 2020

@Madineni  Sorry for the long delay on this response.  I've been on intense project mode / last quarter at my company. 

Did you still need assistance with the custom field automation? 

7 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 26, 2014

You can do this via JQL. Couple of examples below:

status changed to Closed by xyz
status changed to Resolved by xyz after -10d

Daniel Caspers October 10, 2018

If you are querying for yourself, you can substitute xyz with currentUser()

Like # people like this
4 votes
Zach Drake April 3, 2014

Thanks for the reply. I also figured it out this way:

status was Resolved by "user_name" before "2014-03-08" after "2014-03-02"

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 17, 2021

Hi everyone,

This question has received a lot of attention. In order to try to more easily help others find helpful information on this topic, here is an updated answer.

You can use the Advanced JQL searching to find which issues a particular users has transitioned into a specific status. The example provided previously here of

status WAS Done BY "user_name"

is a good start here. Using the WAS operator can show some historical changes via JQL. This method can work in either Cloud or Server/Data Center versions of Jira.

But there are a few things to note about this that might be causing frustration for users trying to do this.

1. The username will not automatically populate based on your input here. If you are using Jira Server or Data Center, you need to know the exact username to make this work.

2. While Jira Server and Data Center can still use a username for this query, Jira Cloud does not always have true usernames for accounts today. This is largely due to changes around how usernames are managed in Cloud today because of privacy and security regulations. In Cloud today, you can use the Account ID instead, but if you do not know that Account ID of the user in question, it can be difficult to determine it while trying to create this JQL query.

To try to address these problems, we have created a pair of new tickets (one for each platform)

For Jira Cloud users:

In the meantime, if you are in Cloud, one easier way to find that Account ID for a Jira user is to first run another JQL query such as

reporter = ”Joe Smith”

Running this search in Cloud today will automatically convert the selected user account into a query such as

reporter = 000000:00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000

This value will be the Account ID of that user. You can then use that Atlassian Account ID in the previous query to find issues this user transitioned into the done status.

status WAS Done BY 000000:00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000

For Jira Server/Data Center users:

You can still use the search of

status WAS Done BY "user_name" 

to try find these issues. However since Jira Server 8.0.0, the feature JRASERVER-1973 was implemented. With that feature, it adds an additional JQL function called updatedBy(). This function can be used in much the same manner, but on a broader range of issues that have been updated by that user, not just status changes that might have happened to those issues. The example in that documentation page of

issuekey IN updatedBy(jsmith) 

can be used to find all issues updated by that user. You can also use date ranges in that function to find changes that happened within a specific time frame.

Jira Cloud does not yet have this function yet, but we are tracking it over in JRACLOUD-1973 . Should this be implemented on Cloud at some point in the future, that ticket will be updated to reflect this.

I hope this helps.

Andy

Rosa M Fossi April 25, 2021

Thank you so much for this thorough response!   I was able to search for tickets where the reporter was "sally" or "mike"

project = "IT Support" and reporter in (5xxxxx:16xxxcc7-3xxx1-xxx-9xxx-0b9bxxx7e, 5xxx8:2xxx260-1xxx-4xxx-axxx-8xxx699axxx7) and createdDate >= startOfYear()

But I cannot seem to properly implement the "status done by" JQL.  This query yields "no issues were found...." message.

project = "IT Support" AND createdDate >= startOfYear() and status = Resolved AND status WAS Done BY 5xxxxx:16xxxcc7-3xxx1-xxx-9xxx-0b9bxxx7e

I've tried the useraccount GUID with and without quotes. 

1 vote
Rosa M Fossi February 2, 2018

Hello All, I know this is an old thread, but I thought it might still work the same... but it does not. I receive an error when attempting to use "BY" and adding a user name.  It keep trying to fill in statuses for the BY variable and not usernames.

Screen Shot 2018-02-02 at 4.21.06 PM.png

0 votes
Joe Massi June 23, 2021

project in (XXX, YYY) AND status was not in ("In Progress", "Awaiting Replenishment", Reopened, "Waiting for customer", "Waiting for Tech") AND status was in (Open) AND status WAS resolved by currentUser()

0 votes
Harry Schilbach October 8, 2020

The closest I got was:

resolved >= -6d AND assignee = username ORDER BY resolved DESC

But this disregards if someone other than the asignee resolves the issue. 

0 votes
Miroslav Renda March 5, 2020

Hello, how to add more usernames into the query? 

status was Resolved BY "usernamehere" 

I tried 

status was Resolved BY IN ("usernamehere", ...) 

and it does not work :-(

Thanks for help.

David Rodriguez May 27, 2020

Hello

Try "status was Resolved BY ("usernamehere", ...)" ... without "IN"

0 votes
Pawel Dzieniarz September 5, 2019

really like the option with

project = "IT Support" AND status was Resolved BY "usernamehere"

however, I'm afraid it won't be working for Next-Gen projects, unfortunately.. at least.

it doesn't on my end.

0 votes
Rosa M Fossi February 8, 2018

I was able to get this to work in this format:

project = “IT Support” AND status WAS “Resolved” BY “xx.xxx@accc.com"
Mobileye Atlassian Licenses May 9, 2018

This didn't work for me.

any other ideas?

Rosa M Fossi May 9, 2018

Hmm~  Try without the quotation on the Resolved

project = "IT Support" AND status was Resolved BY "usernamehere"
Rosa M Fossi May 9, 2018

Also~ try typing it all out slowly and letting the smart query do its thing (all but the username part, which it doesn't seem to auto fill for me)

Rosa M Fossi July 12, 2018

update to this specific queries using "username"

https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/blog/2018/06/say-goodbye-to-usernames-in-atlassian-cloud

looks like username has been done away with altogether.

I replaced email address where username goes and that worked for me. 

Suggest an answer