How do I search for for issues with a specific user mention?

Sarah Corcoran December 1, 2017

I'd like to have a search filter so see all the issues where I have been mentioned so I am sure to respond to their comment. I imagine there's a way to do this, but I am not knowledgeable about search functions.

3 answers

1 vote
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 1, 2017

Sarah,

You can use the following JQL to find issues where someone has been mentioned. 

(summary ~ "username" OR description ~ "username"  OR comment ~ "username") 

Just change the username to the username of the individual you are looking for.

LarsD May 6, 2018

If I use "username" it dosen't work

I try with this: 

project = IGP AND resolution = Unresolved and comment ~ "Kim Liljeborg")

and this

project = IGP AND resolution = Unresolved and comment ~ "XKILI0312")

and this

project = IGP AND resolution = Unresolved and comment ~ Kim Liljeborg)

and this

project = IGP AND resolution = Unresolved and comment ~ XKILI0312)

No matter what I do I get an error saying: 
Error in the JQL Query: Expecting either 'OR' or 'AND' but got ')'. (line 1, character 72)

Error.JPG

What am I doing wrong?

SCDS Cloud Engineering May 30, 2018

Just take off the ) at the end and you should be good. 

Like Bryan Musgrave likes this
Verona Fule July 28, 2019

tried doing the above queries today they all don't work :(

David Matthew December 4, 2023

Just for reference, this worked extremely well for me.  Maybe it's because it's been a couple of years.

In advanced JQL, `comment ~ user-id`.

E.g. to get the user-id of John Doe, type a throwaway query.  Type `assignee = John Doe`.  Before hitting enter, completions show up below for the user.  Click the completion, and the text `John Doe` is replaced with a user id.  Copy paste the user id and delete the throwaway query.

It seems Jira has changed it's user id format overtime.  The format that the completion gave and that worked for me is in the format `123456:aaaaaaaa-1111-aaaa-aaaa-ffffffffffff`.  I'm assuming this is the account id, colon, user guid.

Like Gaspar likes this
Marcel Rossouw April 15, 2024

@David Matthew any idea if there is a generic parameter to use to monitor any/all mentioned users? I need it for an automation rule to monitor any tagged people in a description. 

David Matthew April 15, 2024

@Marcel Rossouw none that I know of.  You probably don't want a huge `or` clause of every user id either.  The only thing I can think of offhand is maybe using `comment ~ 123456:` to search anything that begins with the account number and a colon.  If users are in multiple accounts, using an `or` might work.  It might be a longshot, and if it does work you may get false positives.  I hope you find something that works!

Like Marcel Rossouw likes this
0 votes
Mehmet Can Kırtaş _ALMBASE_ October 27, 2022

Hi Sarah,

You could use mentionsMe() and mentionsUser() functions of our add-on GO! JQL to search for issues that you or a particular user were mentioned in(including comments).

You could try the plugin for free!

Best,

Mehmet

0 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 1, 2017

Hello,

There is an open ticket for the functionality. Kindly readcomments for the ticket, maybe some of them will give you ideas on what you can do in Jira at the present time.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-27594

Suggest an answer