How do I schedule a JIRA issue for future work?

Lionel Cassin August 23, 2012

Let's say I want add a task in JIRA that will not require attention until some later date, e.g., the task begins a year from now, e.g., Sep 1 2013 and should conclude Oct 1 2013. So I do not want it to appear in my dashboard lists until Sep 1.

In other issue management systems (e.g., Wrike) each issue has a "start date." So it's simple to do what I want - just put in a start date of 9/1/2013. Up until 8/31/2013, I do not see the issue as active. On 9/1, the issue automatically starts appearing in my views.

But I cannot determine the similar functionality in JIRA.

I am not designing software or doing sprints, so I don't think Greenhopper is the solution, although I could be wrong.

And I guess I could make a custom filter so that items do not appear on my dashboard until their due dates are within e.g., 30 days, but that's a crude solution.

Thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Thomas Heidenreich
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 23, 2012

Hi,

we solved that the following way:

• a new Status "Postponed"
  • a custom date field "postponed until"
  • a custom user field "assign to"

The new Status is reachable from the "New" status, the transition requires both of the new field and sets the assignee to unassigned.

Every morning a jelly script searches for issues whichs posponed until date has been reached and uses a transition which puts the issue in the "New" status und assigns is to the "assign to" user.

0 votes
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 23, 2012

Greenhopper sprints have start and end dates. With Greenhopper 6 or greater you can now have multiple sprints, so you can assign future issues to a different sprint.

You can also do something with workflows as well, by having a state for holding issues not being worked on.

WIthout understanding your needs it is hard to give a more concise answer.

Suggest an answer