How do I retain issues when changing project workflow?

SamanthaB February 29, 2016

I have an agile project that has been created with the standard 'JIRA Software' process and stories and bugs have already been assigned to the project. I added an active sprint so that these issues would then appear on the Kanban board. The problem is, the default project settings need to be amended to match the workflow on another existing project. As soon as I amend the workflow, the stories and bugs already created disappear in their entirety on both the active sprint and the backlog views. It appears to be the workflow that does this rather than screens or fields. The ticket still exist if you go direct to the url. The active sprint still exists but when I observe this on other views, it appears to suggest it is a future (rather than active) sprint. 

How do I retain these stories and bugs when changing the project workflow? 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 29, 2016

It sounds like the board filter or column set up does not include the issues.

First, check the board filter does not refer to any status - e.g. "Project = XYZ and Status in (open, in progress, held, done)".  If it does, then you need to look at what status the issues are in after you change the workflow and check that it is included in the filter.

Second, go to the board configuration and look at the column definitions.  Do they include all the status that your issues are now in?

SamanthaB April 7, 2016

Hi Nick,

Thanks for this answer. This was not a filter issue, it was exactly the behaviour you defined with column definitions. When I created the new project, kept the default column definitions. When I then edited these in the project administration after reading your post (e.g assigning the previous project bugs with a status of 'done' to a status of 'complete' on the new project) all of my stories and issues appeared on the active sprint board. Bit of an oversight on my part and took me a lot of investigation until reading this. Thanks very much. 

Samantha

Suggest an answer