How do I restrict user access to a project.

suhaim abdussamad August 30, 2012

I have created a new project in JIRA and would like to restrict some users to only have access to this new project. I am confused by the various options in project permissions. I want the users to have the exact same permissions as a default user would get in the first project, the only rule is that they only see their own new project and not the other project.

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 31, 2012

Start at https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Project+Permissions

but concentrate on the "browse" permission.

suhaim abdussamad September 1, 2012

i am starting to follow this wiki but I am confused, would I have to take away permissions from both projects and give it back or can it be done on a project basis

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 1, 2012

Sort of both.

Create a new permission scheme (copy the existing one if in doubt - you can already see how that behaves). You can then switch your project(s) to use the copy as you are working on it, and if you get anything wrong, swap back to the old one.

In the long run, yes, you will take away permissions from both projects and then gradually let people back in.

suhaim abdussamad September 1, 2012

I actually created a new question as I had marked this as answered, not sure what the ettiquette is, I may delete the other one. This is what I did, I dont think i followed your instructions correctly

I have an existing project that is fully operational. I have set up a new project which will have a couple of members, these members should only have access to this new project.

This is what I have done till now to try and accomplish this

1.) Created the new project

2.) Created the new users and gave them developer and users role explicitly

3.) Created a new group called restrictedgroup with these users

4.) Gave this group the JIRA Users and Browse users permissions via the global permissions

This has restricted the users but they dont seem to have the ability to create issues, why is that? How do I rectify this?

Deshan Navaratne April 20, 2018

I did this but seems to be not working for me. 

Like mahnoosh teimoori likes this
1 vote
TylerA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 4, 2012

This guide should walk you through splitting up permissions based on Users/Groups: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/HOWTO:+Secure+Projects+Between+Groups+and+Teams

0 votes
Patrick McCarthy May 11, 2021

Absolutely ridiculous.  Why not just go to project allow users.  Simple.   need a frickin PHD t figure this out. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 11, 2021

That's exactly what you do do.  Go to the project settings and allow users in.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 31, 2012

Permissions in Jira are based on allowing people in, not locking them out.

You can't block a user from a project, what you have to do is lock *Everyone* out and then allow selected users in.

You're going to need to strip the permissions from your existing projects and rebuild them.

suhaim abdussamad August 31, 2012

Is there a quick way of doing this or could you point me to some documentation on how to go about doing this?

Sumit Kumar August 13, 2015

sounds stupid. Classic JIRA workflow I guess.

Like Pavel likes this

Suggest an answer