• Community
  • Products
  • Jira Software
  • Questions
  • How do I restrict a user to only being able to see one project and also being able to log in? (All users have permission to view all projects and if I take users out of the Browse projects permission scheme then there unable to log in) please show example

How do I restrict a user to only being able to see one project and also being able to log in? (All users have permission to view all projects and if I take users out of the Browse projects permission scheme then there unable to log in) please show example

Julius Kelly January 27, 2013

Tried to find 3rd party extensions but ondemand does not allow.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 27, 2013

This is unusual. In order to login the user only needs to be in the group - jira-users. If he has this group membership then he will be able to log in.

Can you provide more information on how you are removing the users from browse project permission?

In order to restrict users access to multiple projects, you can provide browse project permission to a project role say Users. Then you can explicitly add users to the project role - Users within the project. This way only the users within the project who has the project role - Users will have the access to view that project.

Let me know if you require further clarification

Rahul

0 votes
Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 28, 2013

Hey Drexter,

We have an existing KB Article which explains this, and also has links to some additional useful documents at the end of that.

Let me know if that helps or you need more info.

Thanks,

-dave

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 28, 2013

You don't need add-ons.

Split the permissions. In your "global permissions" settings, there's a line that means "can log in". You probably have the group "Jira users" in it. That's how Jira knows to let people log in.

You have then used "jira users" to grant "browse" in projects. (Not your fault probably - Atlassian have this as a default, which is fine for getting started but sets a really dreadful example for anyone who wants to lock it down later, like you do). You need to get rid of that. I usually recommend using jira-user for "can log in" and nothing else. For granting users the access they need to their projects after you stop granting it via jira-users, Rahul has coverd that very well already.

Suggest an answer