How do I reset my Jira Agile avatar to default, so it would show my initial again?

Andrey Simonov July 3, 2014

Hi,

I've changed my Jira Agile avatar from the default, which was my initial, to one of the predefined portraits.

Now I cannot go back to my initial, the letter 'A', on my avatar. It's not available for selection.

How do I reset my avatar back to the default, so it would show my initial?

I'm referring to this

"JIRA Agile now uses the first initial of your full name (not username) as your avatar"

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AGILE/JIRA+Agile+6.3.11+Release+Notes

Andrey

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andrey Simonov July 19, 2014

This is currently impossible, Jira has been raised: GHS-10922

0 votes
Andrew Quee July 8, 2019

Until GHS-10922 is completed, best workaround I found is to visit https://ui-avatars.com/ and program a GET request to generate an initals image,  then save to Jira as your avatar.

e.g. https://ui-avatars.com/api/?rounded=true&bold=true&background=006400&color=EEEEEE&name=AQ

0 votes
Andrey Simonov July 6, 2014

Please help... still don't have an answer!

0 votes
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 3, 2014

all user avatars you've uploaded should still be available to select from your user profile? If your server has gone through any migration, its possible that avatars folder got missed, and historically uploaded images wont be available.

Hi Andy,

Please see this release note:

"JIRA Agile now uses the first initial of your full name (not username) as your avatar"

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AGILE/JIRA+Agile+6.3.11+Release+Notes

Andrey

Hi Andy,

Perhaps I wasn't very clear - the initial 'A' was the default Jira avatar, I have not uploaded it.

I've amended the question description to say this more clearly.

Andrey

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 3, 2014

There is no such A avatar in JIRA, they are geric people pics. Perhaps it was a Gravatar? The system admin can enable or disable this, perhaps thats where it came from/went?

Rising Star
Rising Star
July 3, 2014

Ah, you had not mentioned Agile.

You dont say if its different between Agile or the rest of JIRA? I'd expect tihs to be specific to agile views anyway.

Its not available for selection because Id think it is generated, by Agil in Agile views. If you select the grey 'default' is there any change?

If I change it to the grey default with the question mark, it would show this icon. The same for the anonymous blue icon.

Rising Star
Rising Star
July 3, 2014

Where? in an agile view or genric JIRA, I was thnking that a default icon effectively is 'none', Agile may then detect this and use the first letter of your name in its Agile views in that case. Clarify where you are not seeing this?

I can see this icon everywhere: in the Agile board, in the Assignee field in the Jira ticket description, in Activity Stream...

Ryan O Sullivan July 7, 2014

just to say i have the same issue as andrey, i had a non default avatar and now since the agile upgrade i can't revert to the initial

Rising Star
Rising Star
July 7, 2014

I haven't found a way to clear a user avatar, it may be possible by directly editing the database but thats not something I'd advise. Log a support case with atlassian, would like to hear how this can be done?

Suggest an answer