How do I reorder the field types for the overview of an issue?

Jakobi Oommen January 3, 2018

Field.PNG

For example, How do I change which fields are in bold here? I would like to add a custom field "Issue Solution" after the Description drop down. However, when I edit the edit/view issue screen for this project, I end up only changing the field is light grey.

Thanks in advance

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 3, 2018

Those are not fields, they are the titles of the panels that are wrapped around groups of fields or other data.

How would I choose to hide or show certain ones?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 3, 2018

The attachments panel will disappear if you turn off attachments.  I think you can get rid of Description if you make the Description field hidden for the project/issue type, and I have a feeling disabling the activity stream system add-on will hide the activity panel.

But you probably don't really want to do any of those downgrades.

Is there a way to add a new panel, or to reorder them?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 3, 2018

You can write add-ons that will create new panels, but re-ordering will require (minor) hacking of the core code (re-weighting the panels to be drawn in a different order)

Where would I go in the settings to write the add-ons?

Thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 3, 2018

Add-ons are blocks of code compiled into plugins that you deploy to the service via "manage add-ons", they're not things you just configure.

Since you aren't answering my question let me make myself clear.

How would I go about adding another panel instead of description?

How can I add a new panel after the description panel?

What plugins do I need to modify to make the necessary changes.

When I overview an issue I would like to see the description as a panel. After description I would like to see "Issue Solution" as another panel. How do I go about doing this?

Thanks again

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 3, 2018

I could be a bit grumpy and respond with "since you are not reading the answers", but I do understand that my writing has been quite terse today, so that would be just as unfair.

Instead, I'll try to rephrase:

>How would I go about adding another panel instead of description?

You need to create and install a new add-on that would implement a new panel in the issue view screen.

This could also be done with existing add-ons in the marketplace, although most that create new panels do so with a specific purpose which is not configurable as "pull arbitrary custom field in here".  I suspect Script Runner may be the only one that does that.

>How can I add a new panel after the description panel?

Same answer as above, but with one more point - the panels in this area are "weighted" by their properties (which is just a number in the add-on definition file) and that determines the order they appear in.

>What plugins do I need to modify to make the necessary changes.

The ones you add to your system after writing them.  I've talked about "add-ons" a lot here.  They used to be called "plugins", and Atlassian recently re-badged them as "apps" (I'm sticking with add-ons, because to me, "app" is an abbreviation of "application", and Atlassian uses that word to mean something different again, so it's all confusing and annoying)

Ok, I will look for an add-on or just end up making one myself. 

Thank you for your swift responses. I apologise if there was any error in communication. I am still working to adapt with the new JIRA update.

Suggest an answer