How do I rename an attachment?

Steven T. Snyder November 5, 2012

A lot of users of my JIRA instance make uploads straight from their camera, with filenames like IMG_0729.JPG and so on.

On issues which accumulate multiple images, this makes it very hard to figure out what the images are showing. I don't see any way to rename the images or add captions, and it's not trivial to find out which images correspond with which comments, without looking through the history tab.

Is there some way to rename the images or other attachments in JIRA after they have been uploaded?

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
vkharisma
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 5, 2012

Hi Steven,

I'm afraid this is not possible at the moment, sorry about that. There is a feature request that currently being tracked :

Renam file attachment

I will recommend you to vote on it and add yourself as a watcher to this ticket.

Hope this helps, Vicky.

9 votes
Vadim Rutkevich
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 21, 2014

Steven,

you can try our add-on Smart Attachments. It allows you to rename the attached files, and some other features such as grouping attachments into categories and downloading the archive with files from the appropriate group.

Thanks.

Best Regards,

Vadim Rutkevich

Suggest an answer