How do I remove user from my account?

Wojciech Kwiatkowski January 8, 2014

I am trying to remove user (he has been laid off) from my Jira account. I am trying to remove him from the system, because I would like to create new users and I already have 10 users that I am paying for. When I am trying to delete existing user I get the following message:

Cannot delete user. 'xxxx' has associations in JIRA that cannot be removed automatically.

Change the following and try again:

• Project Lead: 1 project
  • Reported Issue: 50 issues
  • Issue Comments: 70
  • Assigned Issue: 32 issues

Project lead of these projects: Scrum Project

Does it mean that I have to remove all issue comments created by this user in order to remove him from the system? That sounds insane.

Thank you for your early reply.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 8, 2014

If you remove them from the groups that can logon, jira-users by default, they won't count against the license. If they are laid off they shouldn't be a project lead unless the project is completed and not being updated. Also you should reassign all issues that aren't closed to an active users. Leaving them as reporter and their comments gives historical information about the issue.

1 vote
jing_hwa_cheok
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 8, 2014

Hi Wojcieh,

You can deactivate the user which will revoke all the user access to JIRA. Deactivated user will not be counted in the user license.

0 votes
Wojciech Kwiatkowski January 8, 2014

Thank you for your help.

Suggest an answer