How do I remove project roles?

Borek Bernard January 19, 2012

I've created a new project and when I go to the "People" tab in the left navigation, I am presented with the following 3 roles:

• Administrators (group jira-administrators)
  • Developers (jira-developers)
  • Users (jira-users)

However, this project doesn't have any "developers" so I'd like to remove this role. Is that possible?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 19, 2012

You won't be able to do that without tweaking some JIRA code. All you can do is just to leave it empty.

So if I have a project that jira-developers shouldn't be able to access (and ideally not even see in a list of projects), I just leave the Developers role there but remove any permission this role might have on the Permissions tab?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 19, 2012

I think there's a misunderstanding here.

You can remove any role you want (although it will stop you removing the Administrators role if it would stop all your adminstrative activity). The same applies to groups.

That's a global action though. If you simply don't want to *use* the role, don't put any users or groups in it.

Oh I see. So if I want only myself (administrator) on a project, my "People" page will look like this:

Administrators => jira-administrators
Developers => jira-administrators
Users => jira-administrators

Is that correct?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 19, 2012

Yes, that's spot on.

If your permission scheme is then edited so it doesn't use the "Developers" role, then you can have

Administrators -> jira-administrators

Developers -> [empty]

Users -> jira-administrators

... and that will do the same because the role isn't used. The trick is that the list of roles is a global list that projects can use, but don't actually have to. It's common to see sites quite rapidly add a handful of other roles - Tester, Authoriser, and Read Only are the sort of thing I see crop up most often. Obviously, the tester role is only useful in projects where there's a distinct difference between a developer and a tester, so the dev-only projects ignore it.

0 votes
Colin Goudie
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 19, 2012

I think you can delete them, because you can certainly add them.

http://YOURURL/secure/project/ViewProjectRoles.jspa

At least, even the default roles have the delete button next to them.

However, I've only ever added them. Never tried deleing the default built in ones.

In my JIRA 5.0 RC2 installation, there is no Delete button on the People page (not even any action button in the top right corner) so it's basically a read-only table (I can just specify which users and/or groups act as certain project roles).

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 19, 2012

The delete option Colin says can be found at the Administration > User dropdown > Roles. Be warned that if you delete it here, the role will be deleted for all the projects. You won't be able to delete it for a single project.

Suggest an answer