How do I remove an issue from a Sprint? (There are 2 sprint assigned)

Erica Narozny April 25, 2013

I'm really not sure how this happened because when closing a sprint you cannot close until all issues are closed...

However, there are a bunch of stories that are still opened and now assigned to the current sprint, as well as the past closed sprint.

How do I remove the closed sprint from those issues?

3 answers

0 votes
Abdul June 22, 2016

When you clone a JIRA item, the earlier sprint gets carried forward to the cloned item.  In such a case, I want to remove the older sprint from the cloned issue and only assign a current or future sprint.  I am unable to remove the older(completed) sprint.

Either of these should happen:

1. When you clone an item, the (completed) sprint shouldn't be cloned.  In such a case, the user can easily add a new sprint to the cloned item
  2. The user should be allowed to remove a (completed) sprint when you Edit the issue.

I haven't tried the Bulk Edit option yet.  Can Attlassian fix this using option 1 above?  It is very tedious to use the Bulk Edit for each sprint and for every cloned item so often.

0 votes
Ivan Tse
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 26, 2013

That is a bit odd. You shouldn't need to have all issues in a closed state in order to complete the sprint.

If you're looking to remove items from an old sprint, the quickest way might be to use the bulk edit tool and make a manual edit.

I want to warn that manual edits are not recommended, but if you feel comfortable doing the manual edit, then there is a way.

You need to identify the different sprint ID's first since the sprint field is populated with ID numbers. You can check the ID number by going to the burndown chart for that version. In the url you should see "sprint=" at the end with a number. That is the ID number of the sprint.

You'll now want to make an Issue Navigator search that populates all the issues that are off. Make a bulk edit of those issues and you should be able see a "Sprint" field in the available items to edit. Plug in the sprint that these issues are supposed to be in and submit the changes.

That should bring those issues only into one sprint.

0 votes
Ivan Tse
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 26, 2013

That is a bit odd. You shouldn't need to have all issues in a closed state in order to complete the sprint.

If you're looking to remove items from an old sprint, the quickest way might be to use the bulk edit tool and make a manual edit.

I want to warn that manual edits are not recommended, but if you feel comfortable doing the manual edit, then there is a way.

You need to identify the different sprint ID's first since the sprint field is populated with ID numbers. You can check the ID number by going to the burndown chart for that version. In the url you should see "sprint=" at the end with a number. That is the ID number of the sprint.

You'll now want to make an Issue Navigator search that populates all the issues that are off. Make a bulk edit of those issues and you should be able see a "Sprint" field in the available items to edit. Plug in the sprint that these issues are supposed to be in and submit the changes.

That should bring those issues only into one sprint.

Suggest an answer