How do I remove a strikethrough for in progress stories?

Ravi Mistry November 17, 2016

Hi, 

I currently have a project and i cannot seem to figure out how to have tasks that are in Open or Work in progress or blocked to not have a strike through. 

I only want issues to have strikethorugh when they are resolved or closed. 

I have set to resolution to clear on post function but the issue is that the post function should also set to resolution field to what i want. For Example  the status Work In progress, the resolution should still be in progress if i click on a transition that leads into this status. 

Please help!! 

Thanks

Ravi

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 17, 2016

>For Example  the status Work In progress, the resolution should still be in progress if i click on a transition that leads into this status.

No, that is wrong.  The resolution should be empty when the issue is in progress (this will be displayed as unresolved ).  You should, in almost all cases, only set the resolution when you are going into a status that is "done" (green status category), and for all transtions out of "done" into "not done" (blue or yellow), clear it.

Check that the resolution is only ever placed on a transition screen that goes into a "done" status.  Never put it on create or edit.

So if i have something with a status that is work in progress the resolution will still be unresolved? and should only be updated once it is done?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 17, 2016

Correct.  JIRA uses the resolution as a broad "this issue has been dealt with" flag.  So you really only want to set it on issues that you're not going to need to do any more work on.

Ok, however what if we have an issue that is blocked? there is resolution here that is blocked. I don't believe it should stay as unresolved here as resolution is blocked.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 17, 2016

Does "blocked" mean "we will not do this issue" or "we have dealt with this"?  If it does not mean that, then it should be unresolved.

Blocked is usually part of a workflow, so it's a status, rather than a resolution.

Blcoked will mean it's blocked by another defect or third party task. I'm just a bit concerned that the resolution won't reflect the status.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 17, 2016

Yes, that's fine, but setting a resolution of blocked does not make sense.  Blocked implies that the issue will be picked up again and worked on.  So it's not resolved, it's just not moving.

Suggest an answer