How do I reduce the projects shown in the project menu to those the user has permission to?

Nica Huestegge June 26, 2012

Hi,

In the projects-menu an d the projects page all projects are listed to every user, whereas in the dropdown menu of projects jira gives me when creating an issue, it shows me only those projects I have permission to create issues in.

I am aware that the project list is more difficult to differenciate since the user could have viewing rights, creating rights and so on, but I really need to reduce the overwhelming number of projects our users get to see in the projects page. Plus: I still believe I just must have missed the right spot and it should be quite easy to set up...

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 26, 2012

The projects under projects menu uses the "Browse Project" permission whereas the Create uses "Create Issue" permission. You will have to manage it under project permissions.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Project+Permissions

Remember, if you have viewing rights, it will appear in that lst for sure.

Thank you, that helps a lot since I thought the "browse project" permission would only target the search / filter functionality.

But it brings me to the source of the problem: in the "browse project" permission we have both "custom userfield" and "author" set up - we automatically put all of our support mails into jira and want the users to be able to watch their raised issues and to put in other names (of their boss, for example) of people who they give the permission to watch their raised issue too.

And it seems as though the rule " if you have viewing rights, it will appear in that list for sure." ist more of a " if you might have viewing rights, it will appear in that list for sure.", since not only those projects the user has an issue in, which he raised and therefor (author) can see / browse but all of the projects with the permission to author are shown.

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 26, 2012

The proble here is JIRA doesn't know whether it should show the projects selectively or not. You have defined that anyone who is an author or in the user custom field can see this project. And the users are in those irrespective of whether they created a ticket in that project it seems?

Yes, it seems that Jira can't see at the point whether or not the user has an issue in the project or not. I have no idea how to resolve this. I need the users to be able to see their support issues no matter in which project they are, but I also need to reduce the visible projects.

Suggest an answer