How do I reduce the email notifications for certain users?

William Denniss October 17, 2012

Say we have 3 types of users on the project:

General Manager

Project Manager

Developer

The General Manager also use the product, and will sometimes submit & watch bugs. However, he doesn't want to be emailed about every little change. He does however need to be notified of comments on bugs he submits/watches as they may need his attention.

The Project Manager on the other hand, and the developer are quite happy about being notified about every little change – and want this so they can keep an eye on the issues they care about.

So, in JIRA OnDemand, how can I configure this so that the General Manager still gets notified about Comments to his issues (and when issues are assigned to him for feedback), but doesn't get emailed about everything else – while the other user types do.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
David Toussaint _Communardo_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 17, 2012

Hi William,

as allways with email notifications your main entry point is your notification scheme. You can define all actions that are used to send emails and also to whom they are sent. You should think about the following setup:

• using groups for those people mentioned by you and naming the groups General Manager, Project Manager, Developer
  • reducing the amount of emails for all users and only notify project manager and developer more often (by sending emails to said groups)
  • creating custom events that are fired trhough the workflow and used for sending emails to specific persons...

I know, this is kind of a general suggestion but that is at least hwo I would approach this.

Hope this helps kind of. Cheers, David

Hey David, thanks for your answer!

I've been looking in this scheme. What I really need is the ability to have a "General Manage Notification Scheme", and an "Everyone Else" one. Otherwise I have to edit every single line item of the notification scheme to add in this logic. Is that really what I will have to do? Is it even possible to add this logic in that way?

Say I use that approach is it possible to add an "Email the General Manager but only when they are the Asignee" type?

David Toussaint _Communardo_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 17, 2012

Sorry to say this, but in JIRA there is one (notification) scheme attached to one project. So basically yes, that's the way to do this.

Unfortunately notificatins are based on events, rather than on conditions. SO you can say "email when issue is created" and only notify the assignee but not the whole group. Further grouping of conditions is not possible.

What you also could do is to create notification-specific project roles, say like "new issue reciever" who recieves emails whenever a new issue is created. This would give the project lead more flexibility and controll over notifications.

OK, thanks for the info.

I think I'll do something like what you suggest. Maybe I'll setup the notifications to be by default a small set of notifications that *everyone* (even the General Manager) wants, basic things like "someone commented on your issue", and then add a group of people who are notification-hungry, and just send them everything.

Suggest an answer