How do I redirect from my current JIRA home page to another site

dms117 February 13, 2013

Hi,

We're merging our JIRA instance into another instance within our department. I'd like to support our current URL for awhile by putting a redirect page at the launch point, but I'm not savvy to the way this is working on my setup.

I'm running JIRA 5.2.2 on a Windows 2003 server with Apache 2.2 as the web server. If anyone can help me out, I'd like to know how I can figure out how the URL for the site maps to some actual physical directory on the server. I'm sure the information is there somewhere, but this is an installation that's been passed down for several people, and the person who set it up originally is long gone from the organization.

I was hoping I'd be able to go into an index.html page and just add some javascript to redirect to a new site, but I can see that it's a bit more complex than that. What I'd ideally like to be able to do is to leave my current JIRA instance running, create a redirect for the URL for everyone but myself (based on my IP) and implement the project import in the new instance while the old is still available should I need it.

I'm going to continue scanning the JIRA documentation and the server itself to try to puzzle this out, but if anyone has the knowledge and can provide it immediatley, that would be great. Thanks in advance for any help.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Tiago Comasseto
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 14, 2013

Hi there,

Judging by your description, I believe the easiest way to redirect the URL is by creating a DNS rule pointing to the IP address of the new instance, you would still be able to access your old instance through the IP of the old server.

However, if it's feasible in your case, Apache's configurations are stored into a file called httpd.conf, you can find more detals about the settings within this file here.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

dms117 February 14, 2013

Thanks Tiago, someone here made the same suggestion and it's now implemented. Great minds I guess! :) Have a great weekend!

Suggest an answer