How do I recreate a JIRA Agile SCRUM Backlog using only JQL?

Nik Blanchet August 13, 2014

Some of the organizationally senior members of my company want to see the current sprints and backlogs of their various teams. How can I recreate an exact match for a backlog using only JQL?

I followed the query on the How to find issues in backlog using JQL with JIRA Agile? thread, but it returned a different number of results (close, though). Also, the ordering of the issues looked nothing like the backlog as seen from the Plan view of the SCRUM board. What am I missing?

4 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Martim Schnack August 14, 2014

It may need a few tweaks, but it is working for me here:

project = KEY and (Sprint not in (openSprints()) or Sprint is EMPTY) and issuetype not in (Epic, subTaskIssueTypes()) and status not in (Closed, Done, Complete) order by Rank asc

Nik Blanchet August 15, 2014

Works perfectly! I had to edit the "status not in" section because we (before my time!) have had quite a bit of status fragmentation, but that was trivial. Thanks!

Balavinayagamoorthi July 6, 2018

if there are some issues with future sprint, they are also be excluded from query. i have added below "and" condition along with above query.

AND (sprint is EMPTY or sprint not in futureSprints())

it works perfectly...

Ryan Willers September 4, 2019

Thanks - Perfect 

0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 18, 2014

If you use script runner it will add some icons to the planning board, the highlighted ones will take you directly to the issue navigator with the query that represents the backlog or sprint issues, or those issues added after the start of the sprint:

Todd Hlavacek March 3, 2015

Jamie, this plug in worked, but didn't work. For example, the Board Backlog would indicate, say, 260 issues are in the Backlog, and clicking on that icon would take me to an issue navigator screen that showed, say, 5,206 issues. There is something more going on that creates that backlog that your plug-in's issue navigator did not account for. 260 <> 5,206. This is with JIRA 6.3.11, by the way.

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 3, 2015

Hrm... if you look at some of the 5206 issues, are there any that categorically should not be present? I'm not sure if the backlog in the board is limited in some way. The navigator will show subtasks whereas the board does not, but that probably doesn't explain the discrepancy.

0 votes
Nik Blanchet August 13, 2014

Thanks, John. It's not matching, which is why this is so confusing. I used the exact same filter.

Logically there must be some information added to the board filter when displayed in the Plan section of a SCRUM boad. Otherwise, completed issues would display indefinitely like they do when running the straight JQL in the Search for Issues screen. Something causes the SCRUM Board to filter these out automatically, without being told.

0 votes
John Chin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 13, 2014

Hi Nik, did you try view backlog using Board Filter instead ? I believe it would be the same results as your Scrum board.

Suggest an answer