How do I recover JIRA, Confluence, Stash, & Bamboo from downed server?

Greg Cobb June 22, 2015

Server CPU or MB died and the quoted repair costs make no sense so we need to migrate machines.  What I am left with is a harddrive from a Win 2008 server with JIRA (+Agile addon), Confluence, Stash, & Bamboo installed on it. Unfortunately my next project was supposed to be setting up backups on the stack (I know...I know...) so all I have is the raw install, not a backup.  I am thinking about maybe going to hosting it on a Linux server since I think I could get the setup of the server scripted so next time the host dies I can get another going quickly, but if moving to a Linux server would present problems vs using another Windows server then I would probably be sticking it on a Win 2012 R2 server.  How do I get the data out of these applications and on  to another server without having the standard backup/restore process in place like I should have?  I think the licensing tied them to the machine right?  I would assume it is not a problem to change that over to a new server?

2 answers

1 vote
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 22, 2015

@Greg Cobb, I'm sure you will find some help here but I implore you to open a ticket at support.atlassian.com to have them assist with what they can, they are very very helpful.

When re-initializing a server, you usually either need an export or a backup. Since the applications are not running, running an export isn't possible. So this means we need to pursue a restoration through the database. As Renato noted, you need to obtain a database dump. Let me walk you through the basic idea here:

1. Backup the database!
  2. Backup the home folders, and you might as well backup the install folders as well!
  3. Dump each application's table from the database
    1. I assume that all applications were running through individual accounts on the database, writing to their own tables
  4. Restore the install directories to an appropriate location, or rebuild them from the SAME VERSION
  5. Restore the home directories
  6. Restore the database tables in a live database
  7. Configure the INSTALL directory, and ensure it is pointing to the right HOME folder
  8. Configure the HOME directory, and ensure it is pointing to the right DATABASE
  9. Test, verify, repair, repeat

<app-install>/logs/catalina.out and <app-home>/logs/atlassian-application.log will be very helpful to you as you troubleshoot, please tail both of them and provide them to support engineers.

The related documentation, starting at each application, I started below here. Good luck!

1 vote
rrudnicki
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 22, 2015

Hi Greg, 

The Server ID is related to your hardware and this is generated on the installation process. Basically, if you don't change this ID, your Confluence still run fine. However, the correct would be you generate a new license with the correct server ID. You don't need to concert about your license at this moment, but please take a look on this link:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=321848669

About recover your data, you can do this through a database dump if this isn't at the same server which has crashed. 

Thinking you have your database in another server, you can install the products from scratch and them setup your database connection to point to the production database (make a backup of the database first). 

On Confluence, you can change the database settings on <confluence-home>/confluence.cfg.xml

On JIRA, go to <jira-home>/dbconfig.xml

On Bamboo, go to <bamboo-home>/bamboo.cfg.xml

And on Stash, go to <stash-home>/stash-config.properties.

Regards, 

Renato Rudnicki

Greg Cobb June 22, 2015

Right now I have the server harddrive mounted in to a Win7 box. If I am understanding correctly, I could install JIRA for instance on that Win7 box. Go on the Atlassian site and generate a license for that "server". Back up the production database on the old harddrive just in case. Modify the JIRA install to point to the database in the old harddrive. Start up JIRA and it will now load up our old JIRA site? Then apply the new license. Perform a backup of JIRA. I should then be able to take that backup and restore it on whatever new production server I end up using for JIRA and the rest of the stack. Regenerate the license yet again for the new "real" production server and I should then have JIRA successfully migrated to a new server?

Greg Cobb June 22, 2015

I am starting with JIRA and looked in its config file and noticed the database url listed as jdbc:postgresql://localhost:5432/jiradb JIRA obviously is connecting to the db via the postgresql server service which doesnt exist anymore since the OS installed on the HD is not running and rather the HD is mounted as a secondary drive on a new computer. Hopefully there is a way to take the files from a postgresql installation and move them, but either way I guess I need to solve my PostgreSQL problem first before anything else can be done. :(

Suggest an answer