How do I re-index if there isn't an Indexing option in Advanced System Settings?

Stephanie Latterman July 11, 2017

I am a Jira admin, and the option Indexing just isn't there. I also don't have an Actions option in Project Settings to reindex just a project. How do I re-index??

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 11, 2017
Stephanie Latterman July 11, 2017

Thank you for your reply!

JIRA, by default, only grants the user account created during the JIRA Setup Wizard with the JIRA System Administrators global permission, and that person has to add the rest of us Admins specifically to JIRA System Administrators. 

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 11, 2017

Odd. I thought that the wizard created one group jira-administrators, added the newly created internal user to that group, and then set Global Permissions to use jira-administrators for both JIRA System Administrators and JIRA Administrators permissions. At least in JIRA 7.2

Krys Bromek November 7, 2017

I am definitely an administrator , but cannot locate the re-index function in the new interface of Jira - Cloud.

Has anyone been able to locate that functionality?

Rant warning: I am finding it difficult to do a lot of standard things in that interface and when something like this comes along, done only rarely - I spend a lot of time chasing it. This is a big time waster for me.

Like # people like this
Konstantin Sokolov November 7, 2017

I've the the same problem. Cannot find any solution. Jira documentation on that issue from Sep 4, 2017 seems to be outdated.

Krys Bromek November 7, 2017

Yes , the link to "re-index" from this page is the only place in the documentation I could find :

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/configuring-jira-application-options-818578873.html

and it is broken.  All you get is "Looks like we’re off the beaten track" and no option to report a broken link either. :(

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 7, 2017

Shortly after Matt answered this question, Atlassian removed indexing options from Cloud, as they've tweaked it slightly and it's no longer needed for a Jira admin action (The changes a Jira admin might make that might trigger the need for an index are captured and trigger a background one in the projects affected)

The doc Krys has found is incorrect and needs updating to remove that line!

Jeff Lovington May 10, 2018

ok so we're on jira cloud and i just turned on time tracking and now our cardwall shows all blanks in the story points field even tho they all have story points...and i cant re-index...now i wait months for jira support to reply i guess??

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 11, 2018

Jira Cloud does not have indexing anymore.   When this thread was created, it seems pretty clear to me it was specifically dealing with Jira Server, which does have indexing.

If you just turned on time tracking in Jira Cloud, I can't see how or why that would effect estimations on issues since estimations and time tracking are separate features but related here.  What do you mean by 'cardwall'?  Is this your Software board, such as a scrum or kanban board?   Or is cardwall a term for something else I am unaware of.

If this is your board, try to edit the board configuration.  The go to the section on Estimation.  Please let me know what values you have for estimate and time tracking on this page.

Jeff Lovington May 11, 2018

Jira support answered it (false alarm): when you turn on time tracking it automaticlaly changes your board to display hours instead of story points. You dont have hours then because you just turned them on, so the board shows all "-" where story points just were, then you read the forums seeing you need to re-index, then you see more forums saying you can't re-index....but really you just need to change your board back to story points or enter hours on stories

0 votes
Kathy_Bigelow July 9, 2019

I’m using the cloud and made some changes to a field and now it’s not Alfa sorting on the dashboard, any suggestions on how to fix a field drop down that you changed the descriptions to make sure when you pull the field in a dashboard they resort by Alfa order again? I thought reindex but I’m finding anything on the cloud service options. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 23, 2019

Cloud does not need human-triggered re-indexing, it will be done automatically in the background later.

Suggest an answer