How do I "unresolve" an issue?

Karyn Ulriksen February 29, 2012

I seem to have a workflow bug that is setting the resolved status to my default status "complete". This is even occurring on brand new issues creation, so I am a bit vexed!

I'm sure I can figure out my workflow bug but the bigger issue right now is "unresolving" all these issues that have been erroneously marked with a resolution status. My developers are unable to see the issues in their list because they are considered resolved.

Please provide a resolution right away.... this is a HUGE problem during a critical project and is making me and JIRA look very bad.

4 answers

1 vote
MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 1, 2012

A quick way out of your mess is to do this out of work hours...

1. Put the resolution field on the EDIT screen of all your issues
  2. Do a search for all affected issues (JQL: resolution is not empty AND status != Closed, I'm making assumptions about your workflow so you will need to check this)
  3. Select Bulk Change from search results screen
  4. Update all affected issues
  5. Set Resolution field to empty/clear/null
  6. Update all affected issues.
  7. Take the resolution OFF the EDIT screen straight away
  8. Look at the change history of the issues to see if you can work out how the resolution field was updated & fix it.
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 1, 2012

If the jira.issue.editable property is set to false in the earlier workflow, then Edit may not be enabled. In that case, you can add a new transistion for your workflow from your current state and clear this property as well as clear the Resolution with post conditions.

0 votes
Eric Kearney August 9, 2017

Hello,

I found that if you start progress on an issue it will remove the resolution. Not sure if this is based on a customization of my system. Thought I would offer it though.

0 votes
Jakub Pierzchała
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 29, 2012

Hi Karyn

Colin is right. Any issue that has a resolution field set is considered resolved. You should make sure that the resolution field is hidden in all transition views except the one leading to complete/closed or any other status you use that indicates this. You also need to modify the workflow transitions to clear the resolution field when leaving the status.

0 votes
Colin Goudie
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 29, 2012

Karyn,

The default workflow wouldn't do this so sounds like you have made modifications? Is that right?

In any case you'll probably have to modify the workflow transitions to have it clear the resolution field when transitioning to an appropraite status. Maybe do this on 'start progress' transition or something.

I'd suggest in future try do these on a test install etc..

Suggest an answer