It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How do I properly use Jira Projects?

I work at a company that uses Jira Software and Bitbucket Cloud. I'm trying to get the hang of it all but it's rather overwhelming.

We are developing a product that consists of several hardware devices.
Each of those devices runs code belonging to one or several git repositories.

The most complex of the devices contains a ROS environment with selveral ROS packages, which we have structured as one git repository with several submodules. Besides that, there are some non-ROS programs running on that device.

These various repositories have dependencies on one another.

We version our repositories with git tags (using semantic versioning). I.e. each submodule has a version and the master repo has versions that point to a specific compatible combination of submodules.

The challenge that I'm currently trying to wrap my head around is how to version things intelligently and how to use Jira to help organize this.

Currently we have one Jira project, under which we file all our issues. We are using "Sprints" to collect issues that need to be merged / tested for the next release.

While this works, I don't think we're making good use of the Jira features.

Namely, we're probably not using projects right. Jira Projects have the functionality of versions but with our current setup with only one project that doesn't really work.

So I'm struggling to figure out what a project should encompass.

Should I have a project for each "thing" I want to be able to version? That would mean I have a project for each git repository, which seems excessive.

Should I have a project just for the whole project? This would allow me to use the project versioning to work towards a release of the whole system, but not of the individual components.

How would you do this?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

1 answer

Hi @Nick D , 
Our company just started using Jira, with exactly the same situation (using ros and individual versioning per package...etc)

Did you manage to find a good structure for integrating all your ROS packages/workspaces with Jira?

Any input from you will be appreciated !

Alaa.

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you