How do I properly implement custom fields for service desk request types?

waterford-dev August 21, 2017

I want to create custom request types for the service desk so that user's have to answer specific questions when submitting a request. I understand the process of creating custom fields, but I've run into an obstacle. Custom fields must be included in a specific screen and issue type in order to be usable. 

I believe I'm approaching this wrong, or perhaps I'm misunderstanding the functionality of service desk. I may have custom fields that I only want to be available in a specific request type. If I add it to an issue type, it then is shown in all other request types that use that issue type. I don't want this. Should I create issue types for my custom request types so the custom fields don't show up for other issues?

Much appreciated,

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Athena Petridou [Nimaworks] August 22, 2017

Hey there,

The logic is this: Custom Fields belong to a screen. This screen belongs to a Screen scheme which belongs to an Issue Type Screen Scheme. 

So, yes you need to create new Issue Type for the request type you want, because only an Issue Type can hold a specific screen scheme which will contains the fields you want. 

Hope I helped, 

BR, Athina

Suggest an answer