How do I prevent issues being assigned to another projects sprint?

Jamie Adams May 14, 2015

Currently, it is possible to assign issues from one project to the sprint from another.  I can see where this might be beneficial in some workflow.  Perhaps you have 1 company-wide sprint schedule that multiple projects are following, but we don't do that.  This has happened 3 times accidentally, and 0 times intentionally.  When it happens, the issues don't show up on anyone's agile board, so they kind of get lost in limbo.

I don't think this is something we are ever going to want to do, so I'd like to disable it.  How do I limit the list of sprints available in the Sprint drop down to just the sprints for the current project?

3 answers

0 votes
Mark Hostetler March 16, 2021

Similar support ticket:

As a Scrum Master (using Rapid Board) I would like to restrict users who can add/remove tickets from sprint

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-5977

0 votes
Mark Finta May 22, 2017

This will require a script/coding to get the desired result.  If you are ok with that feel free to read on.

I would suggest doing this.  You can get a list of sprints based on a project by using a method called "getSprintsForView(Rapid View)".  Getting the list of rapid views and the sprints associated to those rapid views (method up above) requires knowledge of the greenhopper api.  Don't confuse this api with the current JIRA api.  You may need to dig around a little harder to find the exact methods you need.  Once you have the list of sprints how you implement that is up to you.  Personally I have had the best luck using ScriptRunner for implementing validations such as this.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 14, 2015

Sprints don't belong to projects, they are more about what boards you are working with, and of course, a board can contain many projects.  To "fix" this problem, the best approach is to stop using boards with many projects - have one project per board.

Jamie Adams May 14, 2015

I only have one project per board. However, when users edit an issue, they still have the ability to add it to someone else's sprint.

Jurn Raaijmakers January 8, 2017

I have the same problem as Jamie ( one project = one board), so please advise since this is very unwanted behaviour.

Like Valeria_Mastantuono likes this

Suggest an answer