How do I prevent an automatic link to a specific ticket in a comment?

Inu Yasha September 13, 2012

How do you prevent a link to a ticket in a comment, if you happen to reference something that coincidentally has the same name as a ticket?

Example:

I have an asset labeled "ITEM-531", and our system has the ticket label "ITEM-[tickete number]", i.e. ticket number 531 would also be "ITEM-531".

In a comment, if I reference the asset ITEM-532, it automatically links to the ticket ITEM-531, even though it is not related.

Is there a way to prevent a link such as this in a single comment?

2 answers

3 votes
LucasA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 16, 2012

Hi Inu,

You can do this escaping the hyphen character. In this case JIRA won't render the string as an issue key. As per your example, to avoid the "ITEM-531" string becomming a link, you can type it as ITEM\-531. :)

Best regards,
Lucas Timm

Inu Yasha October 29, 2012

That did not work. the only thing it did was add a \ to my item name, in the text, which breaks searching (unless i remember to always put a \ in the search).

Stephen Paulsen May 11, 2016

Escaping with \- did work for me on 2016-05-11

Steve Veach May 30, 2018

This doesn't work for me either (2018-05-30). It did the same thing as someone else mentioned. The comment now contains a "\" character in front of the "-" character. So now I see this in the comment:

PS\-3467

Not too useful.

Stephen Paulsen August 8, 2018

Escaping with \- worked for me on 2018-08-08 ... e.g. TKT\-1234

My test was in Atlassian Cloud hosted Jira, not an on-prem instance. That may(?) be a difference.

1 vote
DavidBanks April 29, 2020

You need to be on the Text edit mode, rather than Visual for escaping to work. 

Annotation 2020-04-29 145131.png

When you're in Text mode, AD\-1234 with display the text without linking to a Jira ticket.

Suggest an answer