How do I prevent a field from being edited after an issue has reached a particular workflow status?

Joseph Manavalan January 15, 2018

Hi,

My users in JIRA had edit privileges which is very helpful in their being autonomous in JIRA.  However, I have a problem that this causes that I'd like to solve.  When I release issues off my kanban boards, I don't want users to change status and bring it back onto the board (besides, I don't think released issues even show up on the board).  

Is there a way I can prevent users from editing released issues?

Joseph

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Bhushan Nagaraj
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 15, 2018

Hi Joseph,

Have a look at the advanced workflow properties.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver073/workflow-properties-861253674.html

You need to use the jira.issue.editable property.

Cheers

Bhushan

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 15, 2018

But that will stop all edits to the issue, not just that one field.

Also, it won't stop "edits" to status.  Status is not a field, it's an indicator of the position in the workflow.  To change it, you use transitions that move the issue to a new status.  The edit property does not affect status changes.  To do that, you need to look at the "conditions" that are on the transitions out of the current status.

Joseph Manavalan January 15, 2018

Thanks for the comments.  Your references to status are probably relevant if I wanted to prevent editing of an issues that is moved into 'Done'.  I'm less worried about editing of status while the issue is on the board.  What I want to avoid is modifying the issue once it's released off the board.  Does that make sense?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 15, 2018

Absolutely.  It does sound like you need "disallow edit after it moves off a board".  So, if your "not on the board any more" depends on status, you're good to go, because you can just stick the "do not edit" flag on status that are not on the board.

If your boards are not selecting by status, then you're a bit stuck though.

Joseph Manavalan January 18, 2018

Thanks, Nic and Bhusan

Neetu Verma April 26, 2022

You can add a condition at transition level that only admin or group of people can transition back.

Suggest an answer