How do I move my tasks to make them child issues under Epics?

Albert Nkansah January 13, 2022

I have the task tracking template and have 3 issue types; Epic, Task, Subtask. I would like to move all my tasks and organize them under each Epic, but I am struggling to do so. Please help.

2 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Fernando Eugênio da Silva
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2022

@Albert Nkansah 

For this process, you will initially need to ensure that the "Epic link" field is set as an "Editable" field in Jira. To do this, do the following:

Open the project;
Click on "Project Settings";
Click on "Screens";
Select the "Story" issuetype and click on the "Edit Screen" screen;
At the bottom of the screen, add the "Epic link" field.

After that, do the following procedure:

You will need to create a JQL query to bullk change the Story issues with no associated epic.
See how:

Query for epic.PNG

Create a new JQL query that looks something like this:
"PROJECT = XXXX AND issuetype = Story AND Epic link is EMPTY"
This will bring up all the Story issues of this project with no associated epic.
Once this is done, click on the 3 dots located in the right corner and click on "Bullk change"

This next screen will appear, check all issues and click next

Bullk change for epic.PNG

On the next screen, select the "Edit issue" option and click Next

Bullk change for edit issue.PNG

Now on this next screen, search and select the "Epic link" field. It should list all the Epics you have created to associate these issues with this epic.

Bullk change select epic.PNG

PS.: You can only add these issues to an Epic. If some issues from this research belong to another epic, you need to refine your JQL query and redo the process.

After selecting the Epic, at the end of the page you will have the option "Next". Click on it and on the next page confirm the action.
A processing screen will appear and once it completes, all of the Stories in this project will be associated with the Epic you pointed to.

Accessing the RoadMap this will be the view you have:

Story in epic.PNG

And if you go to the epic where these issues were associated, you will see them as follows:

issue in epic.PNG

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you have any question

This does help a lot. I am in the Task Tracking template, so I don't necessarily have the fields like Roadmap or Issue Type "Story" but I was able to do the bulk change you just showed. I have a timeline field that is similar to the roadmap, though it does not drop down my tasks like I would like (as youve shown above), this does get the job done

Fernando Eugênio da Silva
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2022

@Albert Nkansah 

Glad this helped.

If you can click "Accepted Answer" in my answer, it will help other users with the same problem/question as you to find this solution faster.

Take care of yourself.

best

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 13, 2022

Hi @Albert Nkansah 

I guess you are using a board to manage those issues. Simply select them all and drag them to an Epic.

Or go to your issue navigator (search), filter those issues, bulk modify them and edit their Epic Link field.

I hope it helps.

Ravi

I tried dragging the tasks into the Epic, however the epic would not absorb the task like i assumed you were speaking, instead it would just place itself above or below said epic. I was able to bulk modify the fields though, thank you.

Like # people like this
Daniel Wirtz November 8, 2022

Dito

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events