How do I modify an issue's resolution?

Cody McDonald January 7, 2015

I have an issue that was thought to be complete, so it was closed with a resolution of "fixed".  Unfortunately, later we came across another incident of the issue so it needed to be re-opened.  We re-opened the issue and set the status to Open, but the resolution is still "fixed".  I can't find out how to manually modify it.  Being able to automatically reset the resolution when a ticket is re-opened would be a plus, but the base functionality that I am looking for is: at any point in time, with an issue in any status, how do I manually update an issue's resolution?

3 answers

1 accepted

11 votes
Answer accepted
Elisa [Atlassian]
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 7, 2015

Hi Cody, 

To have resolution automatically set when re-opening an issue, you could add a post-function on that transition on the workflow that sets this field to the value you wish. smile

Steps:

1. Edit the workflow.
  2. Visit the status Open
  3. On the Open transition, add a post-function: 'The Resolution of the issue will be (set to... / cleaned)'

Another option would be to make this field always required and allow users to set them up. To do so, all you need to do is:

1. Edit the workflow.
  2. Visit all the statuses where an issue could be Resolved/Closed.
  3. On Resolved/Closed transition, remove the post-function 'The Resolution of the issue will be set to Done/Fixed.'
  4. On Resolved/Closed/Open transitions, add a Validator 'Fields Required' for resolution (you will need JIRA Suite Utilities add-on enabled for this).
  5. On Resolved/Closed/Open transitions, click on the gray 'Edit' button
  6. On the 'Transition View' select the option 'Resolve Issue Screen'.

This will make a window prompt to users every time they resolve/close/open an issue asking them to fill out resolution.

Please let us know if this helps you. smile

Cheers!

Thank you so much!

Naor Yuval February 4, 2015

Followed your instructions and now I get the resolution form pops open when dragging my issues to resolved/closed but regardless of what resolution I pick the resolved/closed issue still shows 'Done' any help on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated

Susany March 30, 2015

This helped me. It's perfect - I get the pop-up and choice selection I was looking for. Thank you.

Jorge October 16, 2019

Works like a charm. Thanks!

edgar.vasquez June 18, 2020

@Naor Yuval did anyone answer this question? so does this mean we have to have a new transition to done with a new screen on each transition for each resolution?
if the post function is set to Done, the resolution is always set to Done, regardless if i choose "wont do"

duanmq March 2, 2021

@edgar.vasquez have you solved this question? It seems like you hava to set the post  function to 'None' first.

Like edgar.vasquez likes this
tanhv June 30, 2021

@edgar.vasquez , @duanmq the answer is above. You need to set resolution None for statuses in Backlog or In progress. You also need to move ticket to other status then back to status you need. Resolution Done will disappear 

Like edgar.vasquez likes this
edgar.vasquez August 25, 2021

Thanks @duanmq  and @tanhv . All sorted

0 votes
tanhv January 6, 2020

I used "Clear Field Value" in Post Functions to fix this problem

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 7, 2015

Resolution should always be driven by the workflow. In this case, you should add a workflow post function to remove the resolution when issues are reopened.

When resolution is on the screen, there is no option to clear it. So, doing it in the post function is the best approach.

Thank you so much for your response. Very helpful! I chose to accept another answer because it gave step by step instructions for me, but your answer is spot on. Thank you!

Suzanne Cho January 13, 2015

Cody, curious... what other answer worked for you?

Cody McDonald March 31, 2015

The first answer, above -- the one that I marked as the accepted answer, with the green checkmark, by Elisa Diel.

Suggest an answer