How do I modify User Directory config with SSO turned on?

I need to change the configuration of the User Directory for Crowd in Jira. Specifically, I want to enable nested groups.

According to the documentation (https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+User+Directories) I need to set up an admin user in the Jira internal directory and use that to modify the crowd settings.

But according to this (https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CWD-2535), you can't use accounts in the internal directory if you have SSO enabled.

This seems like a fairly major oversight, since the only way I can see to make this tiny change is to disable SSO (requiring config file changes), restart Jira, make the director config change, then reenable SSO and restart Jira again.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 vote

Hi Rob,

As you stated, the only way to do this changes through the JIRA UI would be to disable the SSO, use an Internal admin and update the User Directory.

As an alternative for this, we could do this change directly to the database.

You can do this by updating the attribute "ldap.nestedgroups.disabled" to 'false' at the table _cwd_directory_attribute_.

If you have more than one User directory, make sure you update the attribute associated to the correct directory_id.

You'll need to shutdown your application before doing this change.

Please make sure you have a backup of your database before doing any changes to it.

Hope this helps,

Marcus

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in Jira

Join our webinar: How 1B+ feature flag events helped us build the new Jira

Every time you release software, there's a bit of risk – that there's a bug, that something breaks, or that the feature doesn't resonate with customers. Feature flagging helps make high stakes s...

91 views 0 1
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you